Roosters and fertilized egg question!

mrstillery09

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
Before I ask my question I just wanted to thank you guys for being so patient with a newbie like me! I'm making plans for my very first batch of chickens. Right now I'm questioning as to whether or not I should have a rooster. I plan to let my chickens free roam in large fenced areas, but they won't have reign over the whole yard because even though we're in the country we're close to a fairly busy road. I was thinking a rooster would be beneficial because he could kind of guard and lead the chickens about. I'm also a little worried about fertilized eggs. As a newbie I just have this fear of cracking an egg open for breakfast and discovering a little baby chicken!! Also, my dad said that a fertilized egg has a bloody spot? I don't know if that is accurate or not. Anyway, I'd love to hear your two cents, thank you!

Edit: Oh my word, I forgot to say, I was thinking a benefit of having fertilized eggs is the ability for chicks at some point. This is so going to sound stupid, but will a chicken sit on her eggs voluntarily and hatch chicks, or would I have to incubate?

Last edited:
First
welcome-byc.gif
To have a rooster or not is a personal choice. Yes, they can be protective but they can also be destructive during mating; causing damage to the hens. If you have a rooster, you will have fertilized eggs but need not worry about finding a fetus in an egg if you collect eggs daily. It just doesn't happen that quickly. Should you wish to hatch chicks and have a broody hen that you allow to sit then you would not take those eggs away or you could find a fetus. I don't have a rooster because I live in the city and am not permitted to have one. Don't need one because I don't want fertilized eggs and my yard is very protected where they free range. No open areas for hawks and osprey. One of my hens has taken on the role of rooster and sounds the alarm at the drop of a hat. Best of luck.

Yes, sometimes a hen will decide to sit on a nest of eggs, it is called going broody :) . The only way you will crack an egg open and find a chick in it is if you crack an egg that has been incubated.
You can find a red/ blood spot in eggs that are not fertile, it just happens sometimes
smile.png

Don't worry about the many questions, that's how we learn :) I've had chickens for 3 years and still have to ask questions LOL, 1 of my girls went broody and I thought she was egg bound :( Everythings good now! You'll find bloody spots on unfertilized eggs too. Having chickens is great! Have fun! I think Maggie C covered the rest.

And I wouldn't be without a rooster. Personal choice. I have one with 10 hens, and they don't get overmated. Some roosters are much rougher on their hens than others -- also, some will become people aggressive while others may be totally friendly. Lots of variation. I simply won't keep a mean or rough rooster, and there are lots of others on here who handle their chickens the same way. Actually, because sexing at hatch isn't 100% accurate, or if you hatch chicks, you may find yourself eating a rooster as a way of dealing with an unwanted one. Those who won't eat them can have a hard time figuring out what to do with them.

When a hen decides to sit on eggs and hatch them, it's called going broody. Some breeds of chicken are much more likely to go broody than others. If you get all leghorns, for example, you may never get a broody. If you get Silkies, they may hardly ever lay eggs for you because of being broody so much of the time (they won't lay while broody.)

I eat fertile eggs every day, and have off and on for years. I have yet to crack an egg and find a half developed chick. I find a blood or meat spot sometimes, little flecks of red or brown. They are "burps" in the egg laying process and harmless. I just cook them, but you can pick the spots out if they bother you. When I want more chicks, I'd much rather let a broody hatch some than incubate them -- because they also raise them, they do all the work, and I feel the chicks are healthier as well. Here's a link on how to tell if an egg is fertile:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures You might find that an occasional store bought egg is fertile!

The breeds section (top brown bar) lets you find breeds that are more likely to go broody, along with what climate they do well in, etc. You will find lots of info here for beginners. Happy chickening!

Hi! Great questions. I.just wanted to add that last week, my rooster saved my 11 hens' life! They were free ranging and a stray dog came into my yard. He led the dog away from the hens by running the opposite direction of the hens, then fought the dog until I got outside to save him. He lost a few tail feathers but I was so proud of my brave boy! Unfortunately he crowed a lot and I have neighbors, so he is now living on my friends farm, but I sure saw first hand how a rooster will save his ladies!

I want a rooster so bad but my husband doesnt want one :(

I am trying to convince him :) love your story - sorry you are having trouble keeping him!:cd

I have a little barred rock Roo and love him. He is sweet and gentle and doesn't mind being held also he can't crow very well thus the name Squeaky. Wouldn't trade him for the world!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom