Roosters and pullets

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
I have 5 12 week and 4 14 week old pullets and 2 horny 14 week cockerals. I have been only allowing the cockerals to be around my egg laying hens, but it's quite inconvenient as I don't have a separate coop and run. The cockerals have not attempted to mate with the mature hens yet, but they have with the young ones, which is why I kept them separated. Today a let the whole flock be together for awhile. The cockerals went after the young ones as expected, but my run gives 35 sq ft per bird and they didn't seem stressed keeping away. Should I keep them separated as have been or let them sqauble it out? My biggest concern would be what happens in the coop. There is much less space to avoid being mated.

I planned to do that and find a doghouse or something as a temp coop. I was hoping someone would say it's unnecessary:)

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_181044777.jpg
    PXL_20201031_181044777.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 6
It wouldn't prevent all drama though.
No, but it would reduce it, the girls would get the whole day without harassment.
How many older hens do you have?
That one is keeping the cockerels on the run :gig I only watched half of the vid.

What are your long term plans for the cockerels?
I'd get rid of one, or both of them, now.

I could fence a section and let them sleep in the main coop. It wouldn't prevent all drama though.

I watched the whole video. Is the Welly the HBIC? She certainly has those boys on the move whenever she wants.
I didn't actually see any drama in your video.
Nice setup by the way.

I know I will need to get rid of one or 2. I actually have a 3rd, but he is 12 weeks old and much slower to mature. I like having one, mostly because I like hearing the crowing. I have 7 older hens. I thought about getting rid of one of these 2 older ones now, to cut down on half the chasing.

Back
Top Bottom