1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters and them crowing ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pefferlawchicken, Mar 21, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    my mom finally said when our chicks hatch we can raise 5 but she said no roosters because of there crow how bad and loud is it , what are facts i can tell her to make her want one?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I doubt you can convince her, most roosters are really LOUD. What kind of chickens are you hatching? That might make a difference.

My 2 roosters crow all day and most of the night. Luckily, my neighbors have chickens, too. I know this because I can hear their roosters- and they are 1/4 mile+ away!

Also, do you live in an area where roosters are allowed by law and/or neighborhood covenants?

3. Enselle

Enselle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    Oh yeah, roosters are loud all... day... long... but they are so darned handsome!

4. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    you can use them to breed with your other chickens... oh wait there related....nevermind i cant see any thing good about having a rooster

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    roos are protection to hens, they will put thier own lives on the line, so that the girls can get away...cept maybe for ours, they'd be like "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GET ME OUTTA HERE, HOT ROOSTERS FIRST,HENS AND ANNOYING CHICKS WAAAAAY LAST!"

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I see many good things about having the rooster, I would not keep chickens without having a rooster, in fact I will soon have a bunch of
    roosters beside my old one which is a treasure (keeps my hens safe so far).

In fact I like roosters crowing so much I am getting Longcrowers since my growing Bantam roosters will crow not loud enough and not long enough.

But I am a free thinker with very strong musical background.

Roosters crowing is one of the many songs of nature.

7. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    I like you, pascopol! My hubbie strongly agrees. [​IMG]
    We love our roosters.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Roosters are gorgeous and brave. I want a longcrower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by