Roosters are dying

moscrackerjax

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
I'm new to chickens and have had two roosters die in the two months. The first roo was a buff Orpington. He seemed very well and was acting normal. I first noticed he had stopped crowing and then had started to isolate himself. His comb turned a deep purple red color. He had loose stools. He passed away. This happened over a three day period.

The second roo, "Clarence", was a beautiful mixed breed roo. He was crowing this morning and acting himself. I went to check on the birds as it was extremely hot, around noon today. Clarence was sitting on the floor by the water dish. I picked him up and he seemed lethargic, but not ill. His comb was the normal beautiful red. His crop, I noticed was a little squishy, but I don't know enough about crops for this to tell me anything. I gave him some cold water and he seemed to perk up. I let him be. I checked on the birds again at 4pm and Clarence had passed.

What has happened? Any ideas? I have nice, clean facilities for my birds. My hens are doing great!

I'm feeling very discouraged. I didn't realize chickens could be so hard to keep. Already had these two Roos pass and had one with thrush. Thankfully the hen with thrush is healed and doing well.

I'm new to chickens and have had two roosters die in the two months. The first roo was a buff Orpington. He seemed very well and was acting normal. I first noticed he had stopped crowing and then had started to isolate himself. His comb turned a deep purple red color. He had loose stools. He passed away. This happened over a three day period.

The second roo, "Clarence", was a beautiful mixed breed roo. He was crowing this morning and acting himself. I went to check on the birds as it was extremely hot, around noon today. Clarence was sitting on the floor by the water dish. I picked him up and he seemed lethargic, but not ill. His comb was the normal beautiful red. His crop, I noticed was a little squishy, but I don't know enough about crops for this to tell me anything. I gave him some cold water and he seemed to perk up. I let him be. I checked on the birds again at 4pm and Clarence had passed.

What has happened? Any ideas? I have nice, clean facilities for my birds. My hens are doing great!

I'm feeling very discouraged. I didn't realize chickens could be so hard to keep. Already had these two Roos pass and had one with thrush. Thankfully the hen with thrush is healed and doing well.

For your roo, the buff orpington-- a purple comb usually indicates a heart problem, as the heart cannot keep up with the body's need for blood. Did he show any other symptoms? Weakness or paralysis of his legs? How old was he when he died?

It is hard to know what happened with Clarence. Heat can kill chickens-- especially if they have a weakened system.

Where did you get your chickens-- all of them? All from the same place?

Do you know if any of them have been vaccinated, and for what?

Are all your birds about the same age?

The buff Orpington seemed very week and would sit by himself in the corner and such. His legs did not seem paralyzed as he would walk away from you if you approached him. He was around 5 months when he died.

All of my chickens were purchased from Orscheln's. Not ideal, I know.

I have no knowledge of any vaccines. They were on a medicated feed. Within the last month I switched to a layer feed. I don't know if it is medicated or not. I'll have to check.

All of my birds are the same age.

It sounds like there were several with thrush or sour crop problems. Coccidiosis is usually something they are immune to by 5 months, but it is possible that your flock may not be immune to a particular strain (there are 9 strains.) They can have thrush or sour crop at the same time as other illnesses such as cocci. since sour crop and thrush are thought to be fungal infections. You could treat your chickens with a 5 day round of Corid liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water. Then when they are finished, start vitamins and probiotics, which may get them back on track. Then worm them with Valbazen that gets all chicken worms.

It was very hot! High 90s. He was not panting. The hens were. Maybe he was too weak to pant?

Thats what I was thinking too. twice now, we have found our Buff Wyandotte lying on her side in the coop when it was hot. A bath in the sink & she perks back up. I think she went in to lay, got overcome by the heat. Luckily we found her both times. This is my Nana. She just won Junior Class Champion at out county fair. Id be devastated if something happened to her.

Back
Top Bottom