Roosters Crowing After Midnight!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gonzo, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Just let the dogs out, and it's well after midnight.. I've got roosters out in the coop crowing! Is this normal? I think its my kids pesky little japanese bantams! They're such brats! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my boys will go on a crowing spree in the middle of the night. He will crow 15 times in a row or more. I've gone out to check on them to make sure nothing is wrong and it never is. Something must wake him up, but I've never figured out what it is. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sometimes they'll hear the dogs and start crowing.

I had to rehome a couple of mine because they just wouldn't shut up.

4. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I just don't think these guys know the meaning of the word quiet! They're small birds that think they're jersey giants! These guys jump on the fence, facing the neighbors house and will crow! They crow all day (and obvioulsy all night) long! I figured (or hoped) they'd go hoarse... no such luck! I'll probally end up rehoming some of them. I got them this spring as day olds, bought 5.. got 4 roo's and 1 hen. It's my luck! It's never good! [​IMG]

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I just picked up my son from a party, walked in the yard,, the boys are crowing, the ducks are quacking,, I'm trying to explain to them that it's raining, cold, wet, and they should be snuggled up asleep...

6. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Yeah! It's hard to get a word in edgewise! They're so hard headed! [​IMG]
    Quote:

7. SheeReno

SheeReno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of ours will crow in the middle of the night, but he's still learning so it's more of a mysterious honking coming fromt eh darkness.

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    When you let the dogs out, do you turn on any lights?

I have 5 dogs in the house and they do go out sometimes in the middle of the night, if I turn on the flood lights, you can be assured there will be crowing, so the dogs go out in the dark.

WriterofWords - I hear you. If I have to walk out to the truck at night, the ducks and geese all go crazy.

9. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    No, It's totally dark. I worry they'll bother the neighbors with all that racket!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by