Roosters? Do they all have Spurs?

tfpets

Mmm, tastes like chicken
13 Years
Jan 7, 2008
N.Cali/Chico/Forest Ranch
This may be a stupid question, and I've had chickens for years, but I'm wondering if ALL roosters have spurs, or do some roosters ever skip developing spurs? Are there any breeds that are spurless?
Also, do some spurs just grow as nubs? Or if an adult rooster has nubs, does that mean someone has already removed the spur - and will it grow back?
Thanks, Tina

from what I understand, all roos have spurs. They can grow back once removed. They start to grow later in their first year of life and may appear as nubs (if you look and hens or roosters there is always a small little nub...in roos that will develop). I have seen some that were 3-4 inches long. You can file them down if they become a problem.

Thanks. I was talking with DH about it, and he swears we've had a couple of silkies that dont have spurs, I think they did, we just didnt notice them amongst all the toes and fluff! That was 12 years ago too, so we probably just dont remember right, and the original Snowball was a great sweetheart, unlike the new Snowball, who would be soup if I did such things. I would like to see if spurs could be used as a form of rooster identification. I cant tell a boy from a girl very good? Im learning about hackle feathers though!

Tina

I was thinking of this question and I guess its an old thread. But my rooster hasnt really developed them yet... and my neighbor said shes had couple of roosters who never got spurs. ill let you know if my rooster ends up with spurs in 2 more months he will be 8 months

Occasionally a cock bird will not develop spurs. In some breeds absence of spurs is a show disqualification. To the best of my knowledge there are no spurless breeds.

Occasionally a cock bird will not develop spurs. In some breeds absence of spurs is a show disqualification. To the best of my knowledge there are no spurless breeds.
Cubalayas lack spurs, it helps with preventing injury when younger males fight amongst one another.

Stumbled on this thread looking for a breed that might be spurless. I have read (Hutt: Genetics of the Fowl) that there is a gene (recessive and likely sex-linked) for spurlessness. He also says that the interest in cockfighting throughout the years likely led to people wanting spurs on the roosters, so they were bred for it. He also said that the development of spurs could be prevented with caustic potash in the same way as development of horns in cattle may be prevented. At 8-12 weeks of age, the cap of the spur is removed, and when the blood flows, a small quantity of caustic potash (KOH) is rubbed into the wound. Regeneration occurs 10% of the time, but a second treatment is typically effective.
I suspect this might be painful to the rooster but would benefit the hens. I haven't tried it.
Anyway, I thought that was all very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom