Roosters feathering in slower?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sherrydeanne, Mar 19, 2009.

1. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 3-week old EE's/Ameraucana's and two are smaller and much less feathered than the others. They don't have tails yet and have short stubby wings. They look the same as they did a week ago feather-wise. The other 3 have tails, wings and are generally just much more feathered. I have a 1.5 week old who has just as much feathering as the two older guys/gals.

So, can I make a good estimated guess that they're cockerals or is it really impossible to tell? Anything else I could look for on those two to help me decide?

The whole bunch:
    [​IMG]

Two cockerals?:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A good pic of how feathered out the other 3 are:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    EEs are hard to sex at this age (probably impossible without being a professional) and you need to wait till they are older to find out. Since they are a mix (ameraucana with something else), the something else may be different in your 2 slow feathering chicks than it is with the faster 3. If they were sexed at the hatchery, you have a pretty good chance of having most or all of them being pullets. All 3 of mine were sexed correctly.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have noticed with my last batch, that the hens feathered out alot faster than the roosters.

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps I'll mark those two and see in a few months if I was right [​IMG] I have 4 whitish bodied and two reds, and it's one of each color so I don't think it's just different hens chicks IYWIM. I'm not going to cull them yet, but I am hoping I'm right and end up with 4 pullets.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I had a GLW last summer who was extremely slow to feather out, and was much larger than the rest. It stood very tall and erect, had huge legs, and I was sure that it was a boy.

She's now my prettiest pullet, laying lovely large eggs. Her slow-feathering meant nothing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by