roosters fighting help

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
my 2 roosters which have been raised together since just days old and were buddies up until a couple days ago. now they are fighting each other,rolling on the ground, pulling feathers out pecking combs its horrible. they are 6 months old and i have 4 hens. it wasnt planned to have 2 roosters but they ended up being 2 boys and 2 girls. they are both very good and sweet roosters. my husband thinks we need to get rid of one of them but i sure dont want to i love them both. but i also know they cant keep doing like this either. what do yall think i should do? what are my options???

I would say your options are as follows:
1. Rehome one
2. Separate into two groups
3. Expand coop or run area
4. Get more hens

I know it's possible to have multiple roosters at once. My mom had 3 at one point without any quarrels. She also had around 13 hens, so more than enough to go around ;) That being said, I know someone that runs a rooster rescue groups that runs a whole bunch together with no hens and has no problems. The two factors seem to be hens and space. If they are fighting over hens, then you need more hens or need to separate them. Or remove the hen factor completely and keep your boys to themselves. If they are over crowded they could also be fighting for territory. Just my experience. Hope you get it figured out.

they free range unless we arent home then we put them in the run because of predators. i had to get out there before 7 this morning to bust them apart. i left one in the run for a couple of hours. then changed them out and put the other in for a couple hours. then i let the both of them out and stayed out with them to keep my eye on the. they fought several times today. no real damage to each other. well they do have blood on the combs and ripped out feathers. but i tell you they were trying to rip each other apart. it was all i could do today to bust up one of their many fights today. trying to get between them was hard to keep them from coming back at each other. they are wyandonetts blue and red laced.one is really big at 6 months old. his name is sunny but his legs and feet are so big we call him legs. the other mr. jack is not quit as big but not much smaller.they have plenty of space. its 2 rooster with 4 hens. i love BOTH of them.

If the space isn't an issue then maybe let each rooster out with 2 hens to free range and then switch them? Or there's always adding more hens to your flock to keep them both busy. I understand loving and wanting to keep both, but if they are a danger to each other and you then you have to do what is fair and in their best interest. They aren't happy if they're fighting like that. That's just my opinion and I hope you can resolve your issue quickly.

yes i had to get out there agin this morning around 6:45 they were at it first thing. well adding more hens isnt an option we kinda want to keep it a small flock. i know i have been contiplating on what i am going to have to do. its upsetting to my 2 young hens. i can tell they are scared. with me acting like a mad woman having to bust up fights all the time and the boys suddenly acting crazy. charolett usually sits in my lap a few times a day. not yesterday. she was already in run mode this morning when all this happened. we are going on a trip monday and a family member has said we can keep one of them there while we are gone so we are doing that til we return thursday . my husband says that his cousin would probably want to keep him if we wanted to let him go. its hard parting with one when you have raised them from babies (for me it is) my hubbys like you dont have a choice. that what roosters do one has got to go or be penned. i dont want to have to keep penned all the time. i would love to find him a big farm close by with a ton of hens. then thats another issue of which one to keep. like i said they are both good. one is huge and one is normal size. but yes i have to do what is the best for them and this isnt it BOOO HOOOO!

Your husband is right. One of the roosters has to go. Not only will they keep fighting, but your four hens will have no peace as the roosters will also constantly be after them. At least you have the option of possibly giving him to someone. Many people eat their excess roosters. (We just processed 8 last weekend, and have 5 more slated for the chopping block soon, now that DH is done with fieldwork)

Back
Top Bottom