Roosters Fighting - Should I Do Something Now or Wait?

Keep in mind that they're just 21 week old cockerels at this point. Either or both could have a dramatic swing in personality over the next 6-8 months.
That's true. To be honest, my girls are still figuring out their pecking order too, and get into it from time to time. I've just never had boys in the mix, so this is all new to me!

Cockerals and roosters all have their own personalities, so no one can say exactly how it will go. When I have observed males establishing dominance they fight on and off for a few weeks. Then there is a time when the "winner" doesn't allow the "loser" to be near him or his flock. Then after a few weeks the dominant male allows the other male to come back. (After he is secure in his place?) I have had some pair together, and others who have just had their own group of hens.

I actually had a polish bantam that took over control from an Easter egger. It was hilarious. The Easter egger couldn't manage to spur the tiny little bantam, got frustrated and ran off with the pint sized little winner in hot pursuit 😆
Edit: This is the victor in all his glory

Attachments

• 20171002_180836.jpg
    20171002_180836.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 5
I actually had a polish bantam that took over control from an Easter egger. It was hilarious. The Easter egger couldn't manage to spur the tiny little bantam, got frustrated and ran off with the pint sized little winner in hot pursuit 😆
Edit: This is the victor in all his glory
That's hilarious! It's like my little Hamburg ruling the flock, and aside from my one little Polish who has some neurological issues, he's the tiniest of them all.

Cockerals and roosters all have their own personalities, so no one can say exactly how it will go. When I have observed males establishing dominance they fight on and off for a few weeks. Then there is a time when the "winner" doesn't allow the "loser" to be near him or his flock. Then after a few weeks the dominant male allows the other male to come back. (After he is secure in his place?) I have had some pair together, and others who have just had their own group of hens.
Thanks for the info. They almost got into it again tonight after the Cochin got brave and decided to try to mate with one of the ladies. He ran away though when the Hamburg went after him. I'll just keep an eye on them for now. I just hate to see the Cochin so timid.

Thanks for the info. They almost got into it again tonight after the Cochin got brave and decided to try to mate with one of the ladies. He ran away though when the Hamburg went after him. I'll just keep an eye on them for now. I just hate to see the Cochin so timid.
A Cochin Bantam rooster fought my standard rooster everyday for 2 years .The owner finally got tired of the standard getting his butt whipped and gave him to me. Some roosters never quit fighting. Depends on whether the Alpha rooster is willing to share any hens.Their Cochin wasn't...

A Cochin Bantam rooster fought my standard rooster everyday for 2 years .The owner finally got tired of the standard getting his butt whipped and gave him to me. Some roosters never quit fighting. Depends on whether the Alpha rooster is willing to share any hens.Their Cochin wasn't...
They're not so much fighting now - just knocking and chasing each other away from the girls. I may leave them alone (unless it gets serious again) and see what happens as the girls mature a little bit. I only have a few girls who are willing to mate with either of them, so as more become more willing, I'm hoping they won't fight over the same few.

Back
Top Bottom