Roosters fought through wire!!

Broody Bist

Songster
May 7, 2018
Don't worry, my roosters are ALWAYS kept in separate pens, they are never together.
We usually take turns letting them and their hens free range; Rafe and his hens get out in the morning, and Barney and his hens get out in the evening. Usually, they'll jump at each other from each side of the wire with their neck feathers all poofed out, but they usually go away after a minute or two and we've never thought anything of it.
Just a few minutes ago, when Barney was out free ranging, he and Rafe went at it through the wire. When I got out there, Barney was hanging from the wire with one of his legs stuck. There are chunks of skin missing on his legs just below his spurs, and his comb is bleeding too. Rafe's legs are bleeding a lot worse, and so is his comb. He's about a year younger than Barney, and it looks like he got whooped.
They are both walking around and acting fine, I just wonder if there's something I can put on Rafe's legs like vaseline or something? They are bleeding pretty bad. And maybe if there was anything I could put on their combs. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this, where they hurt each other through the wire? My roosters aren't usually aggressive, they've never tried to attack me or anyone else. Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: here’s some pics..

Barney
9900898E-22ED-49A0-A93B-76FC2FB321B2.jpeg 2B2AF510-01E0-449E-ACFF-E0E06232D713.jpeg 5154D966-DF0E-403C-BE07-124CF75B6078.jpeg 83D04084-CA79-4BB7-AF02-2E93D4019598.jpeg

Rafe
900A7802-895B-4DC7-AAA1-E7BD10813812.jpeg B34E42FF-FBAB-4CFA-9193-1507C2FE01F3.jpeg BFC6F467-50CA-4414-8793-6F3E92BC2E79.jpeg

I know they look a lot alike, Rafe is Barney’s son. I didn’t get as good pictures of Rafe, he isn’t as friendly as Barney yet.

Last edited:
I updated the post and put some pictures. Anybody got any suggestions? They’re already roosting, but it would make me feel better to put something on it.

Faces look good, no major damage. Even damage to feet is minor. I would clean wounds on feet and work to keep them on cleaner and dryer ground for about a week. Swelling is when you need to get more involved.

Faces look good, no major damage. Even damage to feet is minor. I would clean wounds on feet and work to keep them on cleaner and dryer ground for about a week. Swelling is when you need to get more involved.
So aside from cleaning the cuts, there's nothing else I should do at the moment? Unless it starts swelling?

Naw...I wouldn’t there’s no active bleeding. Clean them up I like to use betadine. On the legs it easy to use a spray bottle. Watch for infection (swelling). They look like a couple of my friends after a bar fight!
Ugly little wounds but they each kinda earned them. Silly boys!

I was actually just wondering about this with mine. I have one in the house for now until I can figure out how to seperate them outside. The rest of them are coming in the house tomorrow for the holidays because I won't be around and I want them safe.on a second thought I put a wood board between the two sections.

What kind of wire is it?

I was actually just wondering about this with mine. I have one in the house for now until I can figure out how to seperate them outside. The rest of them are coming in the house tomorrow for the holidays because I won't be around and I want them safe.on a second thought I put a wood board between the two sections.

What kind of wire is it?
Type of wiring may not matter that much. Put the boards in between pens.

Back
Top Bottom