roosters gang raping hens

My thoughts would be to put the three hens and the fifteen chicks all together in the biggest area you have. If at all possible, it would also be preferable to put the pullet/hen group in the area that already has the nest boxes in it so that they have a familiar place to lay their eggs. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places that the littles can run to for safety.

I think that as the little pullets outnumber the hens by a long shot they should (theoretically) be ok. There is a certain safety in numbers which goes in their favour!

Make sure you put out extra feeders and waterers as the older hens might try and prevent the young pullets from using their favourite ones.

The roosters can be separated into another bachelor pad pen of their own. I would try and make that in an area where they can't see the hens, thereby removing anything that may antagonise them and urge them to fight each other.

I would think that this separation should only be required for a fairly short period of time - maybe until the youngest pullets are 4 to 4 1/2 months old? They should be able to handle themselves by then, and you can attempt integration of the whole group.

- Krista

PS: Your 'Mean Old Boys' look very similar to my boy, George!

He used to be a little bit naughty too, but he's grown out of the worst of it now.

You will note, however, that all of my girls wear aprons as a standard. Georgie is 'very affectionate' with them and since he is only 14 months old, and it is Summer here at the moment, he does this quite frequently
wink.png

- Krista

I had a similar problem, 4 standard cockerels and one bantam cockerel, with 5 pullets. I kept dragging my feet getting rid of the standards, until one day their favorite pullet was scalped and skinned alive whilst they were fighting over her. Luckily she is on recovery 4 weeks later. The offenders were in my freezer that same day.

I had a similar problem, 4 standard cockerels and one bantam cockerel, with 5 pullets. I kept dragging my feet getting rid of the standards, until one day their favorite pullet was scalped and skinned alive whilst they were fighting over her. Luckily she is on recovery 4 weeks later. The offenders were in my freezer that same day.

One rooster is best. I have none because I don't need any. Freezer camp still makes me SAD , But I'm a realist. What ever has to be done, sure was necessary.

I have 2 roosters and a cockerel with 8 or more hens and the roosters do not over-mate the hens. In fact the less dominate roo doesn't even mate at all unless the dominate one is out foraging in the woods. And that's if any hens stayed back with him

I have 2 roosters and a cockerel with 8 or more hens and the roosters do not over-mate the hens. In fact the less dominate roo doesn't even mate at all unless the dominate one is out foraging in the woods. And that's if any hens stayed back with him

Welcome to BYC -- that is great (especially for your hens) that it has worked out so well thus far. It does sound like you have your birds free rangning or, at the very least, in a very large space and that is going to factor into being able to maintain this mix in harmony.

They are free range or at least when the neighborhood fox is not around. Found fresh tracks today, probably won't let them out for a day or two

UPDATE: I took the 3 RSL hens and put them in with the 3 month old little girls,and man was I so happy that putting all the girls together was not a frightening experience,there was a little bickering but for the most part it was not like I was dreading the 3 girls seem so much happier I put them a new nest box in their new area and all went right to it and have laying me eggs every day,they are teaching the babies to go to the coop at bed time,of course there are 3 that insists on being put to bed,but I am sure they will figure it out in a few days...lol instead of going inside the coop they fly and sleep on the roof,i have the coop inside the run...the guys can see the girls they are separated by only a fence,they seem so lost,but it is for everyones benefit,the guys are not fighting amoungst theirselfs they never fought with each other anyway so I am happy they are not now,so in March the babies will be 5 months old and that is when I am planning to take the fence down and let everyone be together,I am hoping this will not be a crazy moment thanks everyone for your help in helping my girls...and boys

I have 3 roosters and 19 hens. They are in an 800 square foot run- plenty of room. Due to many reasons I’m not able to free range the.. They are all 10 months old. The roosters gang up to mate and the hens are being gouged, pecked and it’s awful. I only have room for 1 in sick bay. Should I advertise to get rid of 2 Roos? My husband ordered these thinking roosters are cool and they are, but they are also cruel. Do we try to find them a new home? I hate to cull them.
, but I’m at my wits end nursing all these hens. I have hen saddles on but when the roosters get aggressive they have pulled some off. It makes me sad, I’m attached to all but want eggs more than crows. We don’t plan on hatching any.

I have 3 roosters and 19 hens. They are in an 800 square foot run- plenty of room. Due to many reasons I’m not able to free range the.. They are all 10 months old. The roosters gang up to mate and the hens are being gouged, pecked and it’s awful. I only have room for 1 in sick bay. Should I advertise to get rid of 2 Roos? My husband ordered these thinking roosters are cool and they are, but they are also cruel. Do we try to find them a new home? I hate to cull them.
, but I’m at my wits end nursing all these hens. I have hen saddles on but when the roosters get aggressive they have pulled some off. It makes me sad, I’m attached to all but want eggs more than crows. We don’t plan on hatching any.
This is a very old thread, from 2015, consider making your own thread so you can get better advice. However, my one bit of advice for you would be, if you don't need fertile eggs, what do you need a rooster for? I would get rid of atleast 2 roosters, and consider seperating the 3 roos if your hens are being significantly damaged by them fighting over them until you are down to the one.

Back
Top Bottom