Roosters in a flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Toby96, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Toby96

Toby96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    I recently hatched a few chicks and got a male and a female, they are now about 16 weeks old and are living with the other 5 (2ish year old) female red sex links. The male has just started to crow occasionally and I saw him trying to mount a female, even though they still chase him a bit. Is there anything I should do while he grows up and gradually takes control? Should I start keeping eggs in the fridge now?
    Thanks, Toby

2. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    No, just leave them alone and they should do fine. As for the eggs, where are you keeping them now?

3. Toby96

Jun 1, 2009
    I keep them in the kitchen at room temperature, have looked into it and you should be careful putting them in the fridge as the shells are semi-porous and can absorb some bacteria that may have formed on meats/dairy products.
    I heard you should keep them in a fridge if you have a rooster as it stops the embryo developing.

4. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Toby,
    What you heard about embryos developing at room temperature is an old wives tale. If that were true, who would have a need for incubators? [​IMG]
    Eggs don't begin developing until they are at the right temperature (about 99.5 degrees fahrenheit) and humidity (about 50%) which can either be achieved under a chicken or in an incubator, they will stop developing/die when these conditions aren't met, so don't worry about having chicks jumping around your kitchen [​IMG] You can continue keeping those eggs where you have them now [​IMG]

5. Toby96

Jun 1, 2009
    Well I've learnt a lot! Thank You!

6. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    No problem [​IMG] Have fun with your chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by