Roosters is very sick

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811_203233_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_203233_Chrome.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 11
The fenbendazole wormer capsules are new on the market, and may be helpful. But they are low dosage. Usually we recommend using SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste which is 10%. Then we say to use 1/4 ml per pound of weight once and in 10 days for roundworms. Giving that for 5 consecutive days will treat roundworms, cecal worms, plus capillary, gapeworms. It will not treat tapeworms, so if you ever see anything like tape segments or a long segmented worm, a product with praziquantel should be used. Ideally, a fecal float on some collected combined droppings done by a vet would be good to get. But if that is not available worming could be helpful.

It can be hard to know exactly what is going on with a sick chicken. Sometimes we don’t know until after death when a necropsy can be done to examine the organs. Checking crop function early in the morning before eating and drinking when the crop should be empty, is helpful. If the crop remains full and hard or puffy soft, then something is wrong.

Wry neck can be a sign of a head or neck injury, but can be seen in vitamin E deficiency, and in some viruses such as Mareks and some of the respiratory ones. I would use 400 IU of E daily given orally.

He's eating and standing good, his head is only crooked a little now, but he has clear nasal drainage. He walks good if he's walking slowly but if he goes too fast he trips

Attachments

• 20230812_165752.jpg
    20230812_165752.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230812_164620.jpg
    20230812_164620.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 9
He's eating and standing good, his head is only crooked a little now, but he has clear nasal drainage. He walks good if he's walking slowly but if he goes too fast he trips
Also I've been bringing him out of his cage every now and then for about 20 minutes so he can stretch and walk around since he is taller than the hospital cage

Attachments

• 16918741464822649128753541677485.jpg
    16918741464822649128753541677485.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
The fenbendazole wormer capsules are new on the market, and may be helpful. But they are low dosage. Usually we recommend using SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste which is 10%. Then we say to use 1/4 ml per pound of weight once and in 10 days for roundworms. Giving that for 5 consecutive days will treat roundworms, cecal worms, plus capillary, gapeworms. It will not treat tapeworms, so if you ever see anything like tape segments or a long segmented worm, a product with praziquantel should be used. Ideally, a fecal float on some collected combined droppings done by a vet would be good to get. But if that is not available worming could be helpful.

It can be hard to know exactly what is going on with a sick chicken. Sometimes we don’t know until after death when a necropsy can be done to examine the organs. Checking crop function early in the morning before eating and drinking when the crop should be empty, is helpful. If the crop remains full and hard or puffy soft, then something is wrong.

Wry neck can be a sign of a head or neck injury, but can be seen in vitamin E deficiency, and in some viruses such as Mareks and some of the respiratory ones. I would use 400 IU of E daily given orally.

He needs to be in a taller cage, do you have anything bigger? I'm not sure about the clear discharge, @Wyorp Rock
I agree, the cage is not tall enough, that's why he's standing crooked. Find something else to house him in. Section off a portion of your chicken run, make another small run for him or something.

In the photo where he's out and about he looks pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom