Roosters is very sick

Emma_Bruffy

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
My rooster started about 2 weeks ago clothes in his eyes and falling over like he was sleepy so I waited until the next morning and he was still doing it so I separated him in case whatever it was was contagious and looked up his symptoms and couldn't find anything. The next day I investigated him further and found that there was a slimy liquid in his throat so I treated him with apple cider vinegar, oregano oil, and vetrx with no improvement. Then I noticed he was walking the wobbly so I gave him vitamins and rooster booster liquid B12, and also save a chick probiotics and electrolytes. He also hasn't eaten this whole time except for raw egg yolks that I fed him by hand( he ate a little bit of egg yolk on his). Now his face is turning pale and I don't know what's wrong with him. So I dewormed him and put diatomaceous earth in his feathers. He's the only one out of all of them that had any symptoms and I don't know if I caught it quick enough or if it's not contagious. Also his poop is watery and in green but I think that's just from him not eating much.

Attachments

• 20230722_164716.jpg
    20230722_164716.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 20230722_164708.jpg
    20230722_164708.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230801_203616.jpg
    20230801_203616.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230801_203610.jpg
    20230801_203610.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 20
Vetrx and especially ACV won't cure anything, the oregano can BUT it has to be medical grade oil, in the right doses *if* there's an infection.
What did you worm him with?
Stop the DE, it won't help.
Does his breath smell bad? What's his diet?

The next day I investigated him further and found that there was a slimy liquid in his throat so I treated him with apple cider vinegar, oregano oil, and vetrx with no improvement. Then I noticed he was walking the wobbly so I gave him vitamins and rooster booster liquid B12, and also save a chick probiotics and electrolytes. He also hasn't eaten this whole time except for raw egg yolks that I fed him by hand( he ate a little bit of egg yolk on his). Now his face is turning pale and I don't know what's wrong with him. So I dewormed him and put diatomaceous earth in his feathers.
What did you deworm him with?
You put DE in his feathers - does he have lice and/or mites?

Check his crop, it is emptying overnight?
Any lesions inside his beak?
Photos of the poop?
What do you feed?
He's got a chunk out of his comb, is that infected? How are you treating that?

If this has been going on for 2 weeks, then what you are doing is not an effective treatment.
I'd work on hydration like you are doing, see if he will eat wet feed.

What did you deworm him with?
You put DE in his feathers - does he have lice and/or mites?

Check his crop, it is emptying overnight?
Any lesions inside his beak?
Photos of the poop?
What do you feed?
He's got a chunk out of his comb, is that infected? How are you treating that?

If this has been going on for 2 weeks, then what you are doing is not an effective treatment.
I'd work on hydration like you are doing, see if he will eat wet feed.
I dewormed him with a poultry deworming pill, I'll get the exact name in a second, I used DE because I don't know if he has mites or not so I used it to be safe, he's not eating so his crop is empty anyway, no lesions in the beak that I can see without someone holding him, I'll get pics in a second, I feed a local mills layer pellets free feeding, and 2 scoops of scratch in the morning, the cut on his comb healed over, I don't have antibiotics because you need prescriptions now. I'll try to get him to eat wet food, he's drinking a LOT of water but isn't eating

This is the only vitamins I have is this enough to treat him

Attachments

• 16914287881553900277373514310832.jpg
    16914287881553900277373514310832.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 14
Those are the basic vitamins and electrolytes for treating a sick chicken for a day or two until they are eating and drinking. Now that he is showing signs of wry neck, most use human vitamin E 400 IU daily along with a little scrambled egg for selenium. Those can be given for a couple of weeks, but the one in the picture should be used a day or two. Do you have another rooster who might have hurt him? Is he molting? It looks like he might be. That is a stressful time on chickens, especially roosters. Give him some extra protein such as egg or tuna.

Those are the basic vitamins and electrolytes for treating a sick chicken for a day or two until they are eating and drinking. Now that he is showing signs of wry neck, most use human vitamin E 400 IU daily along with a little scrambled egg for selenium. Those can be given for a couple of weeks, but the one in the picture should be used a day or two. Do you have another rooster who might have hurt him? Is he molting? It looks like he might be. That is a stressful time on chickens, especially roosters. Give him some extra protein such as egg or tuna.
I do have another boy but they know their places in the order. Now he can't even walk without flipping over and he can't eat, we might just put him down so he doesn't starve or thirst to death

I do have another boy but they know their places in the order. Now he can't even walk without flipping over and he can't eat, we might just put him down so he doesn't starve or thirst to death
I decided to give him another day to improve, I gave him a vitamin e pill and today his head isn't upside down, it's still sideways, and he ate actual food for the first time in 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom