Roosters legs peeling, limping, pain.

but it is infested with mites too. But its a different kind of mite than the scaly ones i think?
Can you get a better photo of the lump? Not sure what that is.

You mention a different kind of mite than SLM, do you see them in the housing? Can you get a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray to treat the birds and housing? That may help.
I think I remember you said you had Ivermectin. This can help treat mites/lice on the birds, but if the bugs are still in the coop/housing, then the birds will continue to get re-infested.
For some it seems to be a never ending battle with bugs. Hopefully you can find a solution.

I do agree that trying oil may be helpful and soothing to his legs.
screenshot_20211128-184933_gallery-jpg.2913873

This looks selfinflicted by his own spurs. Depending on the direction in which their spurs grow, some older roosters can get problems when their own spurs cause constant friction with every step they take.

Watch how he walks and you will see it happen.

I would get a dremel and shorten these spurs to allow the legs to heal.

His legs arent doing better, but he still walks. I trimmed the spurs, but not enough. I have been putting violet on it, and notice every day red spots. Will try to do some of the above suggestions thank you.

Or just twist off the spurs with some pliers.

Is that painless?

This looks selfinflicted by his own spurs. Depending on the direction in which their spurs grow, some older roosters can get problems when their own spurs cause constant friction with every step they take.

Watch how he walks and you will see it happen.

I would get a dremel and shorten these spurs to allow the legs to heal.

Dont have a dremel, only nail clippers or a saw. I clipped what i could but they are very thick. Is it painless?

Screenshot_20211209-181435_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211209-181451_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211209-181509_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211209-181523_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Blu-kote on a wound larger than a peck on the comb is drying and can inhibit new tissue growth. Coconut oil would be better wound dressing. But you need to soak his legs daily in water laced with Betadine or some sort of antiseptic (not hydrogen peroxide) until you see progress in new tissue growth.

Twisting spurs off is quite painless for most roos. I've done it on many boys over the years, and half of them fall asleep in my lap as I'm working on them. Just take a pliers, grab the spur close to the shank and twist gently back and forth until the spur sheath loosens and lifts off. Dress with coconut oil until they harden.

I've had only one issue with one rooster who happens to be one of my current roos. Usually, there is no bleeding when you lift off the spur, just some pale pink serum. That will harden in a day or two. But my rooster bleeds. This is not true of most roosters. Yours will very likely do just fine and not bleed.

I've tried wrapping his spur nubs in gauze and bandaging them, but that inhibited them from hardening. So now, I install him in a crate for a day following his spur removals, which I do every two years. I let him out during the day, but he sleeps in the crate at night so as to avoid him hitting his healing spurs on the perch when he roosts. By day four or five his spurs are hardened enough that he doesn't cause them to bleed when he is engaging in normal activities.

As I said, most roosters can go right back to normal activities following spur removal. A normal roo may hit a spur and cause a tiny amount of bleeding but it coagulates immediately. My roo happens to be a rare bleeder.

His legs arent doing better, but he still walks. I trimmed the spurs, but not enough. I have been putting violet on it, and notice every day red spots. Will try to do some of the above suggestions thank you.

Is that painless?

Dont have a dremel, only nail clippers or a saw. I clipped what i could but they are very thick. Is it painless?

View attachment 2926472
View attachment 2926473
View attachment 2926474
View attachment 2926475
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25180700

Here is a video of someone using a saw with an interesting technique to avoid bleeding:

How is your rooster doing @Banana01 ?
I sawed half his spurs off a few weeks ago, and today his legs look about the same, and he is walking about the same with a limp, but i think he is stable to where it isnt getting worse. I only see him in the afternoons and I keep an eye on his walking, but cant really do much more. It has definitely helped him, but the wounds were so scarred and scabby it is hard to tell, but he is still the same and acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom