1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters or no?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsrozy335, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mrsrozy335

mrsrozy335 New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    We received 6 "hens" but now at least one, but possibly as many as 3 are CROWING (in the morning for the most part).
    Also, they're fighting...having toe to toe stand offs with necks BULGED! Some are significantly larger than others too but
    they're only about 5 months old and I see NO signs of spurs. We believe they are Golden Salmon Ardenners and they're
    QUITE stunning, but we won't be able to keep one roo, never mind two or more as our neighbors are VERY close by.
    Also, we've only got a total of 9 "hens" so the poor ladies would be worn out if I'm understanding proper rooster to hen ratio.
    Any thoughts

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    pictures would help

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pics?

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    don't Know without pics!

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Crowing usually indicates roosters, especially at that young age. It may take a year for spurs to grow. Post some pictures please!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If they are crowing, then they are roosters. At 5 months old, you should be able to easily determine males from females. Roosters have long skinny pointy feathers around their necks and down both sides of their bodies near the base of the tail.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by