Roosters Strange Behavior

checkingon

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
My rooster is 11 years of age and has difficulty moving due to inflammation in his joints. During the day he walks, he stumbles, he doesn't do quick turns because he'll fall, he'll occasionally trip when not watching his step, or if scratching himself he'll lose his balance. Lately, when it's time to retire for the day, he'll walk up the ramp and go into the coop. But he'll come out and walk down the ramp again and walk back up - maybe once, maybe twice. They also have a chicken tunnel. At the end of day, my rooster will not go into the chicken pen and he'll briskly walk into the chicken tunnel and briskly walk back. He did this at least 3 times before finally going into the coop. This is really mind-boggling because I've never seen him walk fast for no reason. He knows there's no food because he wasn't looking for anything. Does he want out? Does he want to escape? It's odd that he can walk so fast when throughout the day, he just takes his time being careful. Strange, isn't it? Is this normal?

He is 11. Geriatrics and dementia.
Be happy with him and take care of him till the end. :hugs I also keep my chickens very long, until they go naturally. Last one went 11 years also. My longest went 13. They are pets. :love
WISHING YOU BEST......... :thumbsup

He is 11. Geriatrics and dementia.
Be happy with him and take care of him till the end. :hugs I also keep my chickens very long, until they go naturally. Last one went 11 years also. My longest went 13. They are pets. :love
WISHING YOU BEST......... :thumbsup
I've always loved this special rooster and will till the very end. I will be there for him.

Post a pix of him if you can.. Here is a pix of my EE that went 11 years. Named Delilah. I name all my chickens not that they come running individually when I call their name, but rather for reference. In that group I had 2 others from same purchase , that may not necessarily been sisters. (feed store hatchery supplied) One died from a respiratory ailment along with 2 other chickens, and the other died from age or what ever at about 8 or 9 ??? not sure exactly.
20150426145506.jpg

IMG_2492.PNG

This is Kingy. This picture was taken last year in November. He has since developed some kind of white stuff all over his wattles, crown and all over his face. Perhaps, yeast? I just purchased Miconazole. Hope it works.

Back
Top Bottom