Roosters to hens ratio

Pics
I have a rooster who apparently hates me, and only me. I carry a rake to keep him off of me lol. He is great with his hens tho, and my daughter loves him, so he is still breathing, although I threaten his demise daily :barnie

Drop the rake. Put on boots, gloves, safety goggles, or whatever you need to feel safe. Then go conquer him and conquer your fear. Pick him up, pet him, ignore him when he attacks you. Give him treats sometimes too. If he dislikes you specifically you need to embarrass him into submission :).

I've found with the 3 batches of my BCM x CCL crosses the cockerels are pretty precocious, trying to mate and spar earlier than other cockerels I've hatched.
Had one in the last batch that crowed at 1-2 weeks old... yes, weeks!
That must have been the cutest thing ever.

I have a rooster who apparently hates me, and only me. I carry a rake to keep him off of me lol. He is great with his hens tho, and my daughter loves him, so he is still breathing, although I threaten his demise daily :barnie

In my experience (and I'm by no means the most experienced one here) it is my opinion that a stroppy rooster sees you as a threat - which may be because you entice his hens away from him - with food/attention. You are interacting with his hens without his permission.. they're "his" in "his" mind.. Start with saying hello to him first, and if feeding/treating, drop the treats for him and let him offer those treats to his hens.. Then gradually insert yourself into the group quietly. Offer treats to those hens who want to come and see you personally. If rooster disagrees with you, firmly push him way. ALWAYS leave the chicken run on "your" terms, when the rooster is calm and otherwise occupied - never when he is shooing you out of the run.. :)

My Dad had to fill in tending chickens for a few days, and everyone knew the rooster was a problem, so Dad was prepared: with a big garbage can. He caught the rooster, put him under the upturned can, tended the chickens, let the rooster out again. (He just wanted to tend chickens without him or the rooster getting hurt.)

Dad says that on the second or third day, the rooster had switched from attacking to running circles around the pen trying to get away. Dad caught him anyway, and put him under the garbage can.

After about three times, the rooster stayed politely on the other side of the pen, and Dad didn't bother catching him, because he was no longer a problem (for Dad; I'm not sure about when the usual keeper got back.)

It might have worked better because Dad was a stranger to the rooster at that time--new person, new rules might be easier than same person, new rules.

Don't know if it'll work for anyone else, but putting it out in case it helps.

Drop the rake. Put on boots, gloves, safety goggles, or whatever you need to feel safe. Then go conquer him and conquer your fear. Pick him up, pet him, ignore him when he attacks you. Give him treats sometimes too. If he dislikes you specifically you need to embarrass him into submission :).

In my experience (and I'm by no means the most experienced one here) it is my opinion that a stroppy rooster sees you as a threat - which may be because you entice his hens away from him - with food/attention. You are interacting with his hens without his permission.. they're "his" in "his" mind.. Start with saying hello to him first, and if feeding/treating, drop the treats for him and let him offer those treats to his hens.. Then gradually insert yourself into the group quietly. Offer treats to those hens who want to come and see you personally. If rooster disagrees with you, firmly push him way. ALWAYS leave the chicken run on "your" terms, when the rooster is calm and otherwise occupied - never when he is shooing you out of the run.. :)

I give him treats first and let him call the others when possible. I talk to him. I have pinned him. I have carried him in front of the hens. I push him away from me. I have locked him up. I have never run from him. Over time (years) he has stopped attacking as much, but he is always watching and if I let my guard down he will lunge for the kill lol. I have just decided that I am his enemy and that is the way we live together. Ironically, he is only alive because of me. His mama abandoned him at birth and he lost his toes to frost bite by the time I found him. Maybe he is mad that I saved him and not his toes?? Ha! My daughter named him Arrow because of markings on his head, but I call him Satan.

When I've found myself with accidental roosters, I've really given them a chance. After all, I raised them from wee chicks and got attached. They really can be beautiful looking birds. As far as being aggressive, I only had one that started running up behind me and bumping me in the back of my legs. I had to wave a stick behind me as I walked to keep him back. The biggest problem with any of them is the stress they put on the hens. Even with up to a 20:1 ratio, they over mate. The girls are stressed from getting pounced on from the second they exit the coop in the morning. I even resorted to putting saddles on the hens when their backs became bald and red. That didn't work very well. I've never had a rooster be effective at protecting from predators. The cons just outweigh any pros in my experience.

My Dad had to fill in tending chickens for a few days, and everyone knew the rooster was a problem, so Dad was prepared: with a big garbage can. He caught the rooster, put him under the upturned can, tended the chickens, let the rooster out again. (He just wanted to tend chickens without him or the rooster getting hurt.)

Dad says that on the second or third day, the rooster had switched from attacking to running circles around the pen trying to get away. Dad caught him anyway, and put him under the garbage can.

After about three times, the rooster stayed politely on the other side of the pen, and Dad didn't bother catching him, because he was no longer a problem (for Dad; I'm not sure about when the usual keeper got back.)

It might have worked better because Dad was a stranger to the rooster at that time--new person, new rules might be easier than same person, new rules.

Don't know if it'll work for anyone else, but putting it out in case it helps.

I did the same thing with my Jersey Giant during his feisty cockerel days. I used a laundry hamper for time-out any time he got too aggressive. He grew out of it, and I no longer need the hamper. I handle him frequently, he is my best friend. If he gets fresh now, I give him a “five yard penalty:” I hold him under my arm like a football (head tucked under) and walk him around the yard for five minutes. It’s a bit of a workout, he weighs over 10 pounds, but it works for us. I also have a special song I sing that reassures him and calms him down. He’s the best!

Back
Top Bottom