Roosters toes falling off!

hi! There isn’t any metal. Floor is concrete board and roosts are made of wood. We also painted the coop with a kilz white stain blocker to kind of seal the wood weeks before we put the chickens in their coop. We also have windows and great ventilation. It’s just so strange that he is the only one. He is still walking fine though and eating, drinking etc. so hopefully it will warm up soon. Thank you for your reply!
I'd be inclined to look for another cause. That top-only blackness seen in the 2nd image is highly unusual in pattern, and it seems to have a different look to it than the many many cases of frostbite I have dealt with. I do not know what else it could be, though, and I hope it stops progressing. :fl

I really don't think low 20's should be causing any frostbite at all. I have to wonder if something else is going on.
I remember a few months ago it started with his one toe (his right inner toe) swelling up which made me think of Bumblefoot but he never had the dot sign and his foot didn’t swell just the one toe. And then they just started turning black and falling off. Now nothing is swollen just black.

I'd be inclined to look for another cause. That top-only blackness seen in the 2nd image is highly unusual in pattern, and it seems to have a different look to it than the many many cases of frostbite I have dealt with. I do not know what else it could be, though, and I hope it stops progressing. :fl
We plan on getting some diatomaceous earth and sprinkling it in the coop and nesting boxes to try to take care of any mites or lice if that’s the case. I want to also make them a dust bath. Thank you so much for your replies!!

I remember a few months ago it started with his one toe (his right inner toe) swelling up which made me think of Bumblefoot but he never had the dot sign and his foot didn’t swell just the one toe. And then they just started turning black and falling off. Now nothing is swollen just black.
Very weird... some sort of infection, maybe? @Wickedchicken6
No clue, really, just throwing stuff out there.

We plan on getting some diatomaceous earth and sprinkling it in the coop and nesting boxes to try to take care of any mites or lice if that’s the case. I want to also make them a dust bath. Thank you so much for your replies!!
I suggest checking them first by parting feathers at vent, under wings, on hackle, and on back. DE has a pretty poor track record in terms of actually doing anything against an infestation, so if it is mites or lice, you probably want to get something like Permethrin, which is highly effective. I think it was @JaeG that saw many lice happily crawling around in a thick layer of DE in her nest box.

I suggest checking them first by parting feathers at vent, under wings, on hackle, and on back. DE has a pretty poor track record in terms of actually doing anything against an infestation, so if it is mites or lice, you probably want to get something like Permethrin, which is highly effective. I think it was @JaeG that saw many lice happily crawling around in a thick layer of DE in her nest box.
Ok. I will check them today. I just figured that wouldn’t hurt in case but I’ll have to look into permethrin if you say that’s better! We are new to all this so all your suggestions are appreciated! It’s just so weird that he’s the only one and our 8 hens aren’t showing anything.

Ok. I will check them today. I just figured that wouldn’t hurt in case but I’ll have to look into permethrin if you say that’s better! We are new to all this so all your suggestions are appreciated! It’s just so weird that he’s the only one and our 8 hens aren’t showing anything.
Good luck! Check for flaky dander-like bits on their skin, I find that to be a good indicator of lice even if you can't see them for some reason. I've had several lice issues and Permethrin spray was the only thing that I think has finally kicked them. Been 6 months and not a single sign of returnees.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

I agree with Banty. I haven't seen frostbite look like that either.
I have had a few of my cull roosters have swollen toes that were enlarged like the toes on your bird. But this was during last year and it did not progress to blackened skin or pieces falling off. But I suspect it was a slight infection that didn't want to clear up.

Perhaps yours has something like a staph infection where he may have gotten touched by frostbite at the tips and it's causing damage and infection. Not so much like bumblefoot on the bottom, but from the tips of the toes.

I agree with Banty. I haven't seen frostbite look like that either.

I have had a few of my cull roosters have swollen toes that were enlarged like the toes on your bird. But this was during last year and it did not progress to blackened skin or pieces falling off. But I suspect it was a slight infection that didn't want to clear up.

Perhaps yours has something like a staph infection where he may have gotten touched by frostbite at the tips and it's causing damage and infection. Not so much like bumblefoot on the bottom, but from the tips of the toes.
Hi. Thank you! Any idea what I can do to help that? Also, I read some stuff about how the roosting bars are set up. Mine are made from 2x4’s with the skinny side up but would turning them so that the 31/2 inch side is up help? I read that chickens having their feet flat on the wide bar could hurt them and they like to perch but then I read that the flat bar allows them to cover their toes better. Any suggestions on that?

Back
Top Bottom