Roosters toes falling off!

Hi. Thank you! Any idea what I can do to help that? Also, I read some stuff about how the roosting bars are set up. Mine are made from 2x4’s with the skinny side up but would turning them so that the 31/2 inch side is up help? I read that chickens having their feet flat on the wide bar could hurt them and they like to perch but then I read that the flat bar allows them to cover their toes better. Any suggestions on that?
I've used 2x6's and 2x4's both the wide egde and narrow edge. I prefer used 2-3 inch fence posts, they never get pooped on and the birds' toes are easily coverable by their feathers with the wide round. Many of my birds curl their feet up to tuck them in underneath their body.

The few birds touched by frostbite that seemed susceptible was the young/old and the ones being bullied and/or kept from the food. I'm theorizing they didn't have enough feed to keep them warm enough.

I am not familiar with the antibiotics that you might use to see if it will help the swelling and possible infection. Soaking the birds' feet in salt water is good for infection.

Back
Top Bottom