Roosters tore up the dominate hen GRAPHIC

Quote:
Honestly I don't see the problem with having a dominate hen. As I said in a prior post she is not the one to start things, but she will defend herself. Plus this is one of our first hens and she is NOT going anywhere.

My main concern is getting her better right now...not which to get rid of.

Last edited:
Quote:
My apologies. She's a tough broad. I hope she gets better. I have a people aggressive rooster. I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll have him forever. He's my responsibility.
I love my girls ( I only have one left, hawk) I can live without the roosters, the girls can too.
You'll get some great healing advice from this group.
Again, good luck with your girl.
Ruth

I agree with the other posters. Keep the wound clean and keep her separate for a few days, and she should recover quite nicely. In terms of the flap of skin. Here's my advice but keep in mind that I am not a vet. First, clean everything really well. Make sure there is no dirt in the wound and use the Betadine/Neosporin like the other posters said. However, if the flap is big, and it looks like it is, I would consider using a bit of super glue (unless you have sutures and know how to use them) to reattach the skin and seal the wound.

I've used super glue on wounds before, and it worked well. Once, I accidentally made a deep gash into my thumb and no ER was nearby, so I used super glue. Worked like a charm.

Just use a tiny little bit, as there are some toxins in superglue. There is a product made specifically for animals (I think it's called vet bond) that has fewer toxins.

Hope this helps; maybe others can chime in.

there is no problem having a dominant hen, isn't there one in every flock? I have one, she is also my first hen and I wouldn't give her up for a rooster. I have a rooster but he is a bantam and honestly if I hear her sqawking because he is trying to jump her, I go out and remove HIM. I can't believe that anyone thinks this hen is the problem simply because she doesn't want to submit to the roosters. Maybe they are reading too much into the word "dominant" and "top" would be less misinterpreted, there is always a top hen, that is what pecking orders are about.

Wanda

Quote:
Honestly I don't see the problem with having a dominate hen. As I said in a prior post she is not the one to start things, but she will defend herself. Plus this is one our first hen and she is NOT going anywhere.

My main concern is getting her better right now...not which to get rid of.

That's why I would keep her. I like the fiesty-ness. You mention killing the roosters, that's why I made that suggestion. Sorry.

whatever you do, clean/disenfect it, seperate her for a few days, and SUPERVISE HER RETURN INTO THE COOP.

I would use some diluted peroxide so its not as painful. Make sure she has plenty of water/food/etc.

Sorry, I dont know what to do about the skin flap.

I would definately GET RID OF THE ROOSTERS. If they've done this once, they will do it again, and they may kill her next time. I would much rather ditch a roo than a hen. I dont blame her for fighting back - i would too.

Ooooookkkkkk....

1. I cleaned out the wound with water and dabbed it off
2. I mixed a some peroxide with water (about 3/4's water) and further cleaned out the wound
3. Got out some tweezers and moved some feathers out of the way so the skin could perfectly lay back down
4. Trimmed those feather away so they cant get back into the wound

Honestly the skin laid down perfectly and I think it will heal quick. Any other suggestions will still help though!

I was kind of panicked earlier, but now I'm feeling much better about the whole situation.

Quote:
You beat me to it! I was going to suggest super-glue too! Vetbond and Nexaband (now discontinued) are "purified" (for sterility) thinned down, runnier versions of cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) All cyanoacrylates that I know of will harden almost immediately, forming biochemically inert polymers. I haven't used it on chickens, but I've used it, and seen it used (both the surgical and regular versions) on lots of different animals, with no problems. Walmart carries "New-skin" liquid bandage which is essentially the same as Vetbond, if you don't want to use the regular Super Glue.
If you use it, I'd recommend applying it at the skin margins, leaving a smallish gap at the bottom for drainage. After thoroughly flushing it, pref. with Betadine/water, (plain water will do if that's all you've got) apply it with a Q-tip, popsicle stick, or something similar, working quickly, and then push the flap into position. You can do the Neosporin if you'd like.(no lidocaine) I don't like using Neosporin type stuff unless its infected because of the antibiotic overuse issues. Don't use hydrogen peroxide on a wound like that, its fairly rough on the tissues, you can use it after you've closed it up, to rinse the blood off her feathers and such. (Under no circumstances get it in her eyes, it DESTROYS corneal tissue!) Check it daily to make sure its healing properly. The super glue will naturally work itself out-just like a scab.
These things always look scarier than they actually are, most animals have skin connected more "loosely" than we do, so a flap of skin peeled back, or an abcess isn't usually as serious (unless muscles are involved) as it would be on a person.

My disclaimer: I am not a veterinarian, I was an uncert. vet tech (apprenticeship OK at the time in S.C.) for many years, some nursing school, and raised various types of parrots before that. I stated what I would do/ have done with my chickens and other animals, but I do not hold a license!
Hope your girl gets better!

Last edited:
Quote:
If you intend to ever eat this hen don;t use the Blue Kote...apparently you are not supposed to eat an animal that has been treated with it. Anyone that can confirm?

Back
Top Bottom