Roosters Trained To Fight

NYboy

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
White plains
Hi I spend most of my time at sister site the easy garden. I would like some feed back on a idea. This spring I will be getting a small flock of hens. I am not interested in eggs or meat, my land is over run with ticks, hoping hens will eat many. I have had Lyme disease. I know in order for the hens to thin the number of ticks they must free range. With free range comes danger of loss to predators, i am most worried about red tail hawks. My dad has lived over 90 years in his house that is right outside Bronx. The neighborhood has changed, a neighbor breeds and fights roosters. Before someone says my dad should report them these are very dangers people who you don't want to be on their bad side. Because of my dads age they have a lot of respect for him. He never has to worry about break ins. What I would like feed back on is if I got a rooster who had been trained to fight would he protect the hens ? Would he be good to the hens or be aggressive to them ? What are thoughts about fighting roosters protection ? Feel free to say if bad idea. Rooster will have flock of hens warm clean coop.

I’ve only had experience with dogs trained/used in fighting. She was the most obedient dog but also messed up and scared of any loud noise.She was mean to all other dogs because she saw them as the enemy ...might be the same for a rooster .

Are there trees or places a chicken could hide from a hawk?

Do you have chickens now? Having ticks is not a good reason to get chickens ...

Yes, a guineas gavorite bug is a tick.
They are free rangers and look out for all preditors. I had a male guinea once who met a hawk in the mid air once protecting his hen and chicks.
having said this it sounds like your in an urban seting and guineas are loud and range far. Your neighbors migtht object to this.
I dont think the chickens will clean up the ticks like you envision.
i think fighting roosters are programed to fight with other roosters, and will not be aggresive to the hens, otherwise how would anyone have a breeding program to continue producing them.
Having said all of this , most all roosters will come out on the loosing end in a fight with a mature red tail.
I hope you can figure out somehow to exterminat the ticks. They are horrible! Since our winters are not so severe here in michigan the tick population has increased. Two of my dogs have recovered from lyme diesese.

Hi I spend most of my time at sister site the easy garden. I would like some feed back on a idea. This spring I will be getting a small flock of hens. I am not interested in eggs or meat, my land is over run with ticks, hoping hens will eat many. I have had Lyme disease. I know in order for the hens to thin the number of ticks they must free range. With free range comes danger of loss to predators, i am most worried about red tail hawks. My dad has lived over 90 years in his house that is right outside Bronx. The neighborhood has changed, a neighbor breeds and fights roosters. Before someone says my dad should report them these are very dangers people who you don't want to be on their bad side. Because of my dads age they have a lot of respect for him. He never has to worry about break ins. What I would like feed back on is if I got a rooster who had been trained to fight would he protect the hens ? Would he be good to the hens or be aggressive to them ? What are thoughts about fighting roosters protection ? Feel free to say if bad idea. Rooster will have flock of hens warm clean coop.
It would probably be best if you reworded your post to not assume on a public forum what your fathers neighbors are doing. Regardless of what you think.

To answer your question ticks and Lyme disease are terrible in the northeast. Don’t kill any opposums they eat a lot of ticks.
No birds will make a big enough dent guineas included, besides if they’re loose all the time something will kill them pretty quick.
Best thing I’ve found is to keep your grass as short as possible and don’t go in the woods in summer without your clothes tucked in.
Roosters aren’t trained to fight either some are just more aggressive than others.
Red tail hawks aren’t as big a problem as the smaller hawks that will show up.

Thank you for your feedback. I know guinea would be better choice but way to loud. Neighbor across street had a flock, use to love seeing them on my lawn. One day the whole flock just ran away. Neighbors decided quiet was nice and did not replace them.

True, if the person breeding them is doing the right things by their flock. Iv'e seen quite a few folks not do the right things and end up with and propagate doozys.:)
Gamefowl are the least human aggressive roosters that I have ever dealt with - it is a trait that has been strongly culled against. They are generally good flock masters and will generally attempt to ward off aerial predators. @centrarchid can give the best advice about this.

Back
Top Bottom