Roosters

I agree with you, too, Hotwings.

I talk sometimes about having aggressive roos--RIStewpot little Napoleon--but honestly, they've never been aggressive to ME (yet). No flogging, no pecking (well, not aggressive pecking, but I do get a that-freckle-looks-good-testing-peck every so often). If they try to dance at me, why, it IS cute, but as Cynthia says, it's just not a good idea for them to think of you as one of their hens. I pick them up firmly and carry them around with me while I do my chores. How humiliating for them, especially when they were trying to show off for the ladies.

Even mean little Napoleon never tried to be mean to ME... it was just to everyone else. He liked pinching and twisting wattles and combs especially.

When I'm in the coop and I see a rooster picking on someone else, I don't allow it. I pick him up. My favorite flock rooster has actually begun following my lead. I don't know if this is quite normal roo behavior or not, but the Dauphin will help me catch the offender... sometimes driving him into my hands. (It's much better to be picked up and carried by Momma than it is to be chased by the Dauphin.)

Most of the time, I just point at the offender's eye when I see him getting ready to take a hard peck at someone's head, and he goes off into the corner without making the attack, and without having to get picked up--the misery! (The Dauphin may scold him as he goes past.) I'm sure the behavior is quite different when I'm not around, but the point is that I'm the boss when I'm there.

I hope this relationship continues; it seems to be working for now. If the worm turns, I suppose I'll have to act or react accordingly. Actually, since we got rid of most of our extra roos, yesterday (then lost the light, so we'll have to finish up next week), I'm hoping it will get easier.

All rooster will become aggressive to some degree as they mature. Thats what they are supposed to do. Remember that they are learning the limits and boundries. You have to play an interactive part in his behavioral development if you expect him to follow your rules and not natures.

It is possible to teach some aggressive roo's not to be aggressive to humans (I've done this on more than one occasion) but it depends on the individual rooster. They're not going to be lap babies, they're not going to suddenly like your cat/dog/other roo's, they're just not made that way. You have to understand there instictual drive to protect their flock.

If I have a maturing roo that gets aggressive with me, I first try to work with him. I think I owe that to myself and the rooster. If his behavior towards humans does not improve in 2 - 3 weeks and don't feel like I can turn my back on him, then I've done what I can do and he is culled, end of story.
If you don't want to spend the time to work with them or if you are afraid of them, get rid of them.

Some roo's respond to the "kill them with kindness" approach, and some have to go the riskier upside down approach, witch can kill them, but if we are at this point the next step would be the stew pot anyway.

If I have young children that I want to visit the chickens, I simply lock the roo away, eliminating all possibility of a roo attack. IMHO its just foolhearty to take a small child around a pitbull with feathers.

I have a milquetoast cock
sad.png

I wanted a Roo that would protect the flock but I think I'm going to have to order some pink polo shirts for my sensitive guy.
The other day I was about 5 feet from him and I said Boo. He sqeaked and run away!
Has not raised his hackle's or tryed to spur. The most I get is he will nibble on my arms when I pick him up.
I told Chickflick that I was premature to name him "Sheriff Earl", I should have named him "Barney Fife"
roll.png

lau.gif
Funny! I guess I should qualify my assessment as my three roos as docile to say that no, they are not super cuddly chickens, but they are friendly towards me and DH and when I have to catch them, they allow me to do what I need to do with them without trying to bite, spur, etc. And they do not attack me when I do anything with their hens, either. They seem to know I mean no harm to them or the hens. I have no doubt that they will do what they have to do to protect the flock; Hawkeye has proven himself on several occasions already.

I think what you are saying Cyn is a little different than outright, perhaps inbred, aggression.

Yours have learned you mean them no harm, something that has likely been going on since they hatched. You really have taught them that (I doubt anyone would see you as a threat - I know I don't.
hugs.gif
)

The sort of "Thug Rooster" that seems to get people to start threads and shriek aloud is the plainly offensive bugger. He is out to attack anything and anybody that is seen as a threat. ANd, it appears most anything IS seen that way. This is most likely a predisposed trait that he comes equipped with, as someone suggested. This sort of fellow is incorrigible at least and unreformable at worst.

I really think rooster-reds approach is well said, too. But then, I dont know anything about all this rooster stuff...dare I say the word, Cyn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I'm saying, you have a happy medium, no human attacks but will defend the flock.

Thats what I strive for, but if they do attack the first time I like to work with them a couple of weeks instead of culling them right away. Lets them know they crossed the line, and if they continue then I cull them, knowing I gave every chance. then when I cull, I won't have second thoughts about it.
smile.png

Quote:
What kind of breed of Rooster do you have? I have heard that game roosters can be handled easily. is this true? I am still at a loss why anyone would let a small child around a rooster? I have heard bantam roos are worse than their full size brothers lol. I appreciate everyones imput on this subject. Mary

Krisrose has a Partride Rock rooster....very timid right now. I have one also, but also have an EE rooster that is much more aggressive...but he sure takes care of his girls. I get agressive to him first, and he seems to get the message.

Acutally, I wouldn't mind a couple of aggressive roosters- maybe they'd chase off all the tweakers that constantly come on our property asking if this or that is "for sale" while scoping out the place to see what they can steal to buy more meth.

Back
Top Bottom