Roosters

AFAIK, its still not illegal to openly wear a gun on your property, in a holster (even in the People's Democratic Republik of California). Try doing that for awhile... the tweakers will probably go elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Really? I didn't know that... the way they always scream and howl about gun control, I figured that would get me thrown in jail faster than if I actually was
doing something wrong. Thanks for the tip!

To get the thread back on topic, here's my responses to the questions mentioned:

1. Give the rooster away to someone who can handle a rooster being a rooster.

2. See #1

3. See #2

4. See #3

Last edited:
Quote:
Really? I didn't know that... the way they always scream and howl about gun control, I figured that would get me thrown in jail faster than if I actually was
doing something wrong. Thanks for the tip!

To get the thread back on topic, here's my responses to the questions mentioned:

1. Give the rooster away to someone who can handle a rooster being a rooster.

2. See #1

3. See #2

4. See #3

yuckyuck.gif
but true.

Hope this thread is still alive because I want to chime in since my guy (Mattie) has shown some aggresion toward me in just the last two days.
As I posted in another topic I received a new pair of chickens. Well it seems Mattie took offense to this and bit me on the leg as I tried to enter the newcomers yard. This happened for the second time last night, well I used Cynthia's approach and grabbed him and carried him around for about 45 min., totally docile. Picked him up again this morning and held him for about 15 min. We'll see what happens tonight.

Mattie is a awesome roo, protective of all his girls and gererally mellow. I will give him ample oppurtunity to adjust to the changes in his flock. BUT not to the point where a child or adult for that matter would be in danger. My grandgirls know to avoid Mattie and my one grand daughter simply charged him when he jumped at her, he ran away like a big baby LOL.

I have raised Macaws in the past and I know from experience when they sexually mature you can really have your hands full, I had a mature pair, THAT was dangerous. You are dealing with a bird that can crush small body parts with it's beak if so inclined (and during breeding season they are generally so inclined LOL!), and their talons are nothing to sneeze at either. (my pair are now in a breeding program and I so miss them
hit.gif
)

So I guess we should remember that we ARE dealling with a animal. Something that has thousands of years of programming (instinct) in that little brain of theirs.

Although in all fairness to us humans it is hard (as is evidence by this very board!!) to not attach ourselves to something so darn cute, fun and yes to some extent intelligent.

I figure to each his own, deal or don't deal with your roo, just don't take what they do personally.

This may sound really terrible but I'm just glad they taste really good, if it comes to that
wink.png
Kim

I have a kellso gamecock rooster that was given to me (rescued -he was supposed to be destroyed)
He is calm and gentle. He is used to being handled.
My white leghorns love him. However, when he was introduced to the flock, they all wanted to fight him. Now he is king of the coop. All of ladies run to him when he calls. He loves my two RIR hens.

He is colorful.
Are roosters like the male peacocks?
They are colorful and it helps them attrack female.
"He is the only rooster is in the hen house."

I had a leghorn rooster and I have him to my sister since she wanted a rooster to breed with her hens.

Another topic... My sister gets three "Double Yoke"
brown eggs weekly.
What kind of hens have double yoke eggs?
She has three leghorns (they lay white eggs) three RIR hens and four sex-link hens.
Any information on double yoke eggs/hens?

Back
Top Bottom