Roosting area question…

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
Roosting bars are even in height, or tiered? I have them tiered in the coop now, but I am thinking of changing it to having them all the same level, three bars but all at the same height. Working on incorporating my two young ones with the big ones. They have been sleeping on the bottom bar for the last few weeks now, but wondering about them all being the same level. I have seen other coops set up similarly and wanted some input. I am removing the bar across the coop that the littles used to roost on so I can make room for another nesting box. Thoughts? Thanks!

Roosting bars are even in height, or tiered? I have them tiered in the coop now, but I am thinking of changing it to having them all the same level, three bars but all at the same height. Working on incorporating my two young ones with the big ones. They have been sleeping on the bottom bar for the last few weeks now, but wondering about them all being the same level. I have seen other coops set up similarly and wanted some input. I am removing the bar across the coop that the littles used to roost on so I can make room for another nesting box. Thoughts? Thanks!
I have a small coop for 4 with only 1 roosting bar. Two are older, two are younger and being incorporated. I have had problems with the older ones not letting the younger up onto the roost bar. I had to divide the roosting bar with plastic fencing so that they could get a spot. At first the older ones split up and each blocked half of the roost. I had to keep moving them to one side to make it work. Now they keep to their sides, but I still have not removed the fencing.

So, while in general I think all at the same level is better, at incorporation time, a few tiers can be useful.

I guess it depends on your setup and what works for you. Change it up to what you think will work best and adjust as necessary.

I had to add an additional roosting bar at the same height as the other one. My rooster was pushing all my hens to one side and they were on top of each other. They had an additional roosting bar lower that was tiered but none of them want to use the lower one. Now they have plenty of space and everyone gets to be on the highest bar. From my experience, it was easier to add an additional roosting bar at the same height rather than letting the low ones on the totem pole get picked on until they moved. We have two 7 foot roosting bars and I am actually going to add a third 7 foot roosting bar since I have the room just so I know everyone has options and everyone gets to be high off the ground!

Maybe you can make two bars at the same height, and one lower?

Most of the time, all the chickens want to be on the "best" (highest) bar, so putting two bars at the top height would make more space for all the birds that want it. But when the older chickens force the young ones off, having a lower bar might give them a safe space that no-one else wants, so they don't try to sleep somewhere else like the nestboxes.

Thank you for all of your replies! I think I will just leave them tiered for now. The big four get up first and go to the top bar. The two younger ones get on the lowest bar and stay there. If the younger ones get on the lowest bar too soon, the bigger ones will peck and make sure they know they belong on the bottom bar. I understand what is happening and know that it must, but it is hard to watch. I will only interfere if the pecking gets bad. My four older ones are 34 weeks and the younger ones are 24 weeks. Attached is an older pic with the roosting bars and some of my older girls. :)

Attachments

• 6214B220-7FA3-4529-ABC5-BC16AC2DDC7D.jpeg
    6214B220-7FA3-4529-ABC5-BC16AC2DDC7D.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 24
Thank you for all of your replies! I think I will just leave them tiered for now. The big four get up first and go to the top bar. The two younger ones get on the lowest bar and stay there. If the younger ones get on the lowest bar too soon, the bigger ones will peck and make sure they know they belong on the bottom bar. I understand what is happening and know that it must, but it is hard to watch. I will only interfere if the pecking gets bad. My four older ones are 34 weeks and the younger ones are 24 weeks. Attached is an older pic with the roosting bars and some of my older girls. :)
I really like the technique you used to put that together .... simple without angled cuts.

Back
Top Bottom