Roosting bar a hit w/ chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TheSpiceGirls, Nov 18, 2010.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I have four 3-week old chicks still in the garage in a 3' by 3' brooder while they grow up big enough to go outside. I don't want them to get board in there so I try different things and last night I put in a wooden dowel about 3-4 inches off the ground wondering what they'd think and no surprise, they knew exactly what to do. It amazes me what is instinctive for them. Here's a photo of my Black Jersey Giant happy as can be on the dowel.

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I keep a piece of wood board in the brooder, on its side so it's a kind of a short wall in there. They'll start to roost in their second week - last night I had a whole row of eight chicks, week-and-a-half old, on it!

But that is an ADORABLE photograph of your JG!!

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Mine are 4 weeks, and I haven't put roosts in with them yet, I want them to sleep on the ground in the straw because it's warmer. In another week or so I will put some in there and see if they know what to do. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing your pic, she is adorable!!! [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I love your Black JG Chick! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by