Roosting Bar for Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DenverBird, Feb 20, 2011.

1. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    I've noticed the 1 1/2 week old Freedom Ranger chicks are trying to get up on top of the feeder and just about everything else (including each other...). Would a little roosting bar be appropriate for them in the brooder?

Thanks!

-DB

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some roosts in mine at one week. They most all use them at two weeks of age. Some times it's to get closer to the light, sometimes just to jump on other chicks!! ..stan

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    mine love there roosts! I have them in a bird cage.. so the roosts came with it!

4. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah, as soon as I stuck a branch in diagonally in the cardboard brooder box, the chicks (less than a week old) hopped right up on it and from then on that's where they slept and snuggled when they weren't actively eating or drinking or scratching at the bedding

had to make a bigger brooder box for them because the ten of them wouldn't all fit on the diagonal once they hit about three weeks of age

5. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    I made mine a little roost using some 1"x2" pine that I had around, and they LOVE it! They are 11 days old, and have been getting up there for the last 3 or 4 days. I even caught them snoozing up there last night [​IMG]

6. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I have a large branch piece in there. They love it. It is thick so they can perch easily on it. Mine are less than a week and they sit on it

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not necessary -- but anything that helps occupy them, IMO, is a good idea. A brick to jump on, a leafy branch or handful of dry weeds, a mirror -- whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by