Roosting Bar or Rod Shape ????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jykmoy, Jun 2, 2012.

1. jykmoy

jykmoy In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    I am nearly finished with my coop, and am considering using a 2"x2" square shape for my roosting perch, or, a round diameter perch (about the size of the poles used for hanging clothing in your closet). I understand there are some discussions relative to the chicken's feet and their need to fully grip a perch so they won't spin or topple over (??? am not sure of the validity of that explanation). Can anyone offer any insight here? Please hurry as my chicks are ready to go into the coop!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I'll try to be nice. Here is a shot of my roosts. You can judge for yourself how hard it is for a chicken's claws to wrap around a roost.

[​IMG]

If you use a 2" x 2" or a 2" x 4", I suggest sanding the sharp edges to round then off so the chicken can wrap its claws around easier. That will also get rid of splinters, which would be my main concern.

3. jwatts

jwatts Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    Hey ridgerunner, What kind of rooster is that? I have what looks to be an identical rooster, but i never knew what kind he was. (he was givin to us )

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    It's a cross from a Speckled Sussex rooster and a Delaware hen. That's actually a red sex link, but you can get a rooster that looks like this from crossing many breeds that don't make a sex link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: