Roosting dilemma (PIC!)

I forgot to add that 4:1 slope is ideal and 3:1 is good. Yours looks pretty steep. Maybe modify it starting it from a cinder block to make it less steep. Also unnatural positions can cause them to become splay-legged if overdone. My birds are full grown and I built my ladders with cleats every 4".

LOL. I took another look and yours are roosts with poop planks under them. Thought at first they were nests! Good height, just need more cleats and probably not so steep a grade. Mine are 3:1 slope and cleats every 4" for full grown birds. They can get splay-legged if in unnatural positions for too much of the time when young.

I love your roosts and how you have the boards under them! Good job!
wink.png

Quote:
We are in Central Florida, so there is never "too many" vents.
wink.png
Girls (and 5 or 6 boys) are five weeks old now. We will add more steps to that ladder and see. So far they sleep on the floor.

If your girls are only 5 weeks old, it is quite common for them to sleep on the floor. Some won't get the hang of it till they're much older, even 10 weeks or better. If you could, the addition of "mini-roosts_ at a lower level (12" or so high) for them to practice on might help. I had little 4" high roosts in the brooder, then 8-12" in the coop. Once they were comfortable roosting on these, they soon found their way to my main roosts, which are about 4" high. I took the mini roosts out when 13 of 15 were using the main roosts at night (my flock varied in ages, the oldest are 10 weeks older than the youngest). Once the mini-roost was gone, they all used the main roost. I have a ramp similar to yours that no one seems to use. I put back a 1' mini roost that some will use as a mid-way hopping point.

Florida? Oh I see what you mean, already dreaming of the warmth after having an early start to winter here! You'll see the snowbirds early this year...
wink.png

Young birds often sleep on the floor- we gave ours some scrap pieces of 4x4's and they loved it. Keeps feet and bottoms cleaner overnight...

Last edited:
I agree with the other posts. Add a block under under the bottom of the ramp to make it less steep (without having to make a new ramp!!!) and add a rung in between the existing rungs to help them walk up. No need to start over when you can just modify what you have.
big_smile.png
You're set up looks great!

Get some of that gripy stuff that is used to line kitchen drawers and staple it to the ladder board between the steps. You know, the mesh-like stuff. This makes for good traction and prevents splinters that might hurt their feet. Look at the black board to my roosts, which are about 4-1/2 feet off the ground. On another note, I also use a big piece of that gripy stuff in the back of my Durango to keep cargo like groceries from shifting around, and it also keeps my pistol from sliding across my dashboard. Great stuff. I recommend everybody getting a big roll of it.

33d35aedabb7ed4ac23396f846c46b3d250beab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom