Roosting during the day but not at night??

Bitofablonde

Songster
Apr 19, 2021
Beautiful north Texas
Morning!!

Our 10-9.5 week old chick's don't roost at night...they have been in there coop for several weeks now and would roost in the brooder. During the day they roost on the roosting bars or out in the run where we have roosting bars...but at night some will snuggle into the nesting boxes (2 per box) and the rest cram themselves into a corner piled on top of each other. I have tried putting them on the roosting Bars but they always fly or hop down.

I'm not sure what else to do?? Help! Thanks!

You can block the nestboxes so they cannot go in there. You will be cleaning poop out of there every morning so eggs don’t get soiled once they start laying. As far as piling on the floor, it’s normal, they should roost pretty soon.

You can block the nestboxes so they cannot go in there. You will be cleaning poop out of there every morning so eggs don’t get soiled once they start laying. As far as piling on the floor, it’s normal, they should roost pretty soon.
Ok! I may try that tonight. Thanks!

These 2 have started staying outside with the ducks, so I have to put them into the coop :rolleyes: but then they don't seem to know what to do lol

Attachments

• 20210504_205807.jpg
    20210504_205807.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 12
I wouldn't worry about the ones huddling in the nest box. They should outgrow that kind of behavior. The ones roosting outside, however, will need to be trained where to roost at night. You'll have to put them in there(after dark) for a week or so. I had one that was especially tough to get to go in at night. I placed a roost away from the main roost and she has decided to roost there at night. This might have been a case of bullying that forced her to stay out at night and this might be the case with your two. Make sure the roosts are comfortable for the birds 2 x 4 flat side up will encourage them to roost. Have roosts at different levels and different areas. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about the ones huddling in the nest box. They should outgrow that kind of behavior. The ones roosting outside, however, will need to be trained where to roost at night. You'll have to put them in there(after dark) for a week or so. I had one that was especially tough to get to go in at night. I placed a roost away from the main roost and she has decided to roost there at night. This might have been a case of bullying that forced her to stay out at night and this might be the case with your two. Make sure the roosts are comfortable for the birds 2 x 4 flat side up will encourage them to roost. Have roosts at different levels and different areas. Good luck!
Thank you! We have a ladder type roosting area and another roosting area in the corner of the coop, more then enough room for our 10 girls. The 2 staying outside have just started doing that the last 2 nights, they used to go in with the others at the same time, and during the day I dont notice any bullying going on, they all interact together just fine, snuggle up together etc. I will definitely continue to place them into the coop to make sure they are safe for the night. The ducks have their own house and free access to the run all night.

My brooder raised chicks typically don't sleep on the roosts at night until they are 10 to 12 weeks of age. They may play on them during the day but don't sleep up there at night. I have had some start on their own at 5 weeks, I had a broody hen take her chicks to the roosts to sleep at two weeks. They can get up there, they can sleep up there if they want to, but they just don't want to. I don't worry about it, they will start roosting up there when they want to. As long as they are sleeping somewhere predator safe and not in my nests I don't care where they sleep.

If you want you can train them to roost. Set a few on the top roosts every night after dark, they should soon learn to go up there on their own. I'd probably be doing that with the ones in the nests, I don't want mine sleeping in nests. Once one starts going to bed up there the rest should soon follow.

If that run where they are sleeping outside is predator safe they should be OK out there. My run is not safe so I lock them in the coop every night until they are retrained to sleep in there. Sone of mine get that message after a time or two. My record for a really stubborn hardheaded one was three weeks. If you are consistent they will get the message, just don't wear out before they do.

My brooder raised chicks typically don't sleep on the roosts at night until they are 10 to 12 weeks of age. They may play on them during the day but don't sleep up there at night. I have had some start on their own at 5 weeks, I had a broody hen take her chicks to the roosts to sleep at two weeks. They can get up there, they can sleep up there if they want to, but they just don't want to. I don't worry about it, they will start roosting up there when they want to. As long as they are sleeping somewhere predator safe and not in my nests I don't care where they sleep.

If you want you can train them to roost. Set a few on the top roosts every night after dark, they should soon learn to go up there on their own. I'd probably be doing that with the ones in the nests, I don't want mine sleeping in nests. Once one starts going to bed up there the rest should soon follow.

If that run where they are sleeping outside is predator safe they should be OK out there. My run is not safe so I lock them in the coop every night until they are retrained to sleep in there. Sone of mine get that message after a time or two. My record for a really stubborn hardheaded one was three weeks. If you are consistent they will get the message, just don't wear out before they do.
Thank you for the reply!

I am still working on finishing all the predator proofing needed for the exterior of the run. And being in the PNW we are still getting a bit chilly at night so I'm afraid the 2 chicks would end up being too cold outside.

I will keep being consistent about putting them in the coop and try blocking the nesting boxes so they hopefully start transitioning the roosting bars.

All these replies are really good!
You could make a very low roost under your ladder roost. Coupled with setting them on the upper roosts at night it will have them roosting on their own. Babies need a boost sometimes to make it into their high chair!
Oh, if they are silkies, they normally won’t roost.
Regards…

Morning!!

Our 10-9.5 week old chick's don't roost at night...they have been in there coop for several weeks now and would roost in the brooder. During the day they roost on the roosting bars or out in the run where we have roosting bars...but at night some will snuggle into the nesting boxes (2 per box) and the rest cram themselves into a corner piled on top of each other. I have tried putting them on the roosting Bars but they always fly or hop down.

I'm not sure what else to do?? Help! Thanks!
did yours ever figure out how to roost? did you help them? Mine are 15.5 weeks old now and STILL won't roost at night.......

Back
Top Bottom