Roosting in nest!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrestonSloan08, Aug 10, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    How can I make my chickens stop roosting in there nest!!

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Why do you want them to stop roosting in there nest?[​IMG]

3. robertndacia

robertndacia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    I have the same problem. My roo loves to sleep in or on top of the nest. He always make poo deposits and it has to be cleaned more often.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    how many nests do you have and dose he only use a specific one if there are more than one and he only uses a specific one block his favorite off during the night and unblock it during the day

5. dominiquePL

dominiquePL Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Poland
    I can see you have silkies - they need roosts quite low because they can't fly. So maybe it's just more comfortable for them to use nests. Or it could be their unfriendly coop mate(s) who chase(s) them off the roost. I have a hen who beats everyone up if they're on the same roost [​IMG]

6. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Is your roost higher than your nest? Are your chix broody?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If they're young, I leave them alone and just deal with it. If they're near laying, mine have always gone to the roost on their own, but if they didn't, I would close off the nests at night. But then, I don't have Silkies. I wonder if they would like a very low roost, or maybe a thick pile of hay in a corner.

8. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    My young ones will do that and make a mess in the boxes. Just block off the nests at night when you lock them in. I use empty feed bags. Then unblock them in the morning when you let them out. After a while the young ones will learn. I still have one stubborn young cockeral who tries it because a few hens like to pick on him. As soon as I come in at night to lock them up, I hear him start squaking.... It's like he knows I'm going to move him and he's saying, "Oh man! I'm busted! I know, I know... up on the roost with those mean girls!"

Lisa

9. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Yea my roo is doing the same thing! And they keep pooing in there!! Its making me crazy!!

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Yes, I use to have the same problem, I modified my nest boxes to be able to fold up a board. I only have to close off the nest boxes for a week or two till the Juveniles learn where to roost.
    Here is a picture from another post, but you can see the boards that are hinged, able to close up the boxes.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by