Roosting in run

HeyHo

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a cutie little hen that can make it up to the rafters in the run. I have to relocate Rosie every evening, which gives us nice one-on-one time, but it is not an ideal long-term solution. The cold weather is coming and she needs to be snug in the coop with the other girls at night. My stern lectures have not worked.

What can I put on the 2x4 rafters to discourage her? Aluminum foil? Pool noodles? Christmas lights?

(For background, she is lowest in the pecking order but my girls are not mean -- the leaders to not keep the others from the feeder, there is no violence. Mostly scurrying, clucking and a ruffled feather or two. When I place Rosie in the coop at night, she makes her way up to a roost with no drama. So I don't think it is a matter of her not wanting to go into the coop. I think she just loves the high, outside roost.)

Try taking out the roost if possible for a week or 2.

I've had chickens that refused to roost inside the coop, instead they stayed on the roof of their coop.. They got cold and wet but nothing I overly worried about, they never got sick from the elements.

** I will add they were all adult birds.

Try taking out the roost if possible for a week or 2.

I've had chickens that refused to roost inside the coop, instead they stayed on the roof of their coop.. They got cold and wet but nothing I overly worried about, they never got sick from the elements.

** I will add they were all adult birds.

The 2x4s are structural for the roof -- so they are rather permanent. And the run is predator proof (so far) and sturdy, so I'm not really worried. I guess it is more of a preference on my part. She's a pullet (6 months) and small, but pretty brave and independent. Maybe I should just let her be and she will make up her own mind.

The 2x4s are structural for the roof -- so they are rather permanent. And the run is predator proof (so far) and sturdy, so I'm not really worried. I guess it is more of a preference on my part. She's a pullet (6 months) and small, but pretty brave and independent. Maybe I should just let her be and she will make up her own mind.
I gotcha, they just have their on personalities ha

I gotcha, they just have their on personalities ha

Who knew? They totally do! It is so fascinating to me that all these pullets were day old chicks that never saw an adult hen. But they somehow know how to be chickens, to scratch and peck and preen! And they have their own personalities.

Who knew? They totally do! It is so fascinating to me that all these pullets were day old chicks that never saw an adult hen. But they somehow know how to be chickens, to scratch and peck and preen! And they have their own personalities.
Yes and when they become mothers (if you breed them) they know exactly what to do without being taught, just crazy to fathom!

Back
Top Bottom