Roosting issue

debgoody

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
we have six 1.5 year old chickens they all roost great, however we added 3 chicks to our flock this year. 2 barred rocks and 1 Easter eggers-when they joined the coup they refused to roost with the others and found a spot in the run that they would roost every night. For a few weeks now we push them in the coup and close it so they end up roosting with the others. But, it's been weeks and they still don't go in on there own. - the BR ended up being roosters so we unfortunately brought them back to the breeder and now left with the young Easter eager alone. Any ideas to help her be comfortable she spends almost the whole day roosting on a tree branch in the run-hops down for some food and jumps back up. At night We are stilll push her int the coup to roost otherwise she just roost in the Run alone :( Any suggestions??

How old is that chick? How big is your coop and how is it laid out, photos might help.

Unless that EE is laying, that sounds pretty normal, especially if the coop is fairly small. Until she matures enough to force her way into the pecking order she is going to be afraid of the older hens. For good reason, if she invades their private space they might peck her. Mine are particularly vicious about this as they are settling down to sleep. During the day she is avoiding the adults. It sounds like you have had a very successful integration, it's just that this can be what a successful integration looks like, especially if the coop and/or run is fairly small.

So what can yo do? As aggravating as it is, I'd suggest keep doing what you are doing. Put her in every night. She is not being hurt and she is safe in the coop at night. If you feel your run is predator proof enough you could let her sleep in the run, but there may be a risk there.

54402582-C3C6-4384-AB03-4A5825B4A58D.jpeg
EC472730-FC5A-426A-AC7E-9EFC7409E037.jpeg
330D22EB-123A-4E5B-8267-309850862342.jpeg
330D22EB-123A-4E5B-8267-309850862342.jpeg
She is about 4 months old.so many I have nothing to worry about- thanks for the insite!
Here are some pics of the coop and her hangout spot in the run for a visual.
We used to let them completely free range but they destroyed our landscaping so they free range once in awhile otherwise are in the two run areas.

How old is that chick? How big is your coop and how is it laid out, photos might help.

Unless that EE is laying, that sounds pretty normal, especially if the coop is fairly small. Until she matures enough to force her way into the pecking order she is going to be afraid of the older hens. For good reason, if she invades their private space they might peck her. Mine are particularly vicious about this as they are settling down to sleep. During the day she is avoiding the adults. It sounds like you have had a very successful integration, it's just that this can be what a successful integration looks like, especially if the coop and/or run is fairly small.

So what can yo do? As aggravating as it is, I'd suggest keep doing what you are doing. Put her in every night. She is not being hurt and she is safe in the coop at night. If you feel your run is predator proof enough you could let her sleep in the run, but there may be a risk there.

Attachments

• F89F9F6F-1269-451B-874F-6A2A6C3B8D6A.jpeg
    F89F9F6F-1269-451B-874F-6A2A6C3B8D6A.jpeg
    827.5 KB · Views: 8
No!! Why do you say that?

QUOTE="puffypoo22, post: 20165312, member: 382729"]Sorry, that's a cockerel. Looks like your problem solved itself :/[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom