Roosting Issue

What do you all recommend?

• Total voters

ChickNanny13

Enabler
10 Years
Jun 23, 2013
The Big Island/Hawaii
My 4BO are 28wks pullets, 3 laying for the past few weeks ...
I've been putting them up on the higher roost with the poop board under it, above the nest box for the past 3wks. They prefer to roost on the lowest roost in front of their enclosure, no poop board :rolleyes: is my issue with them roosting there. Putting another poop board under the lower roost would take away space, they like dust bathing under it. Thought of making a removable hammock to collect their nightly poop.

I've never had this issue with past chickens :he First couple nights I waited until dark (around 6pm) now they're waiting for me at the door (5:30) so I put them up & they stay there :confused: Keep saying I'm going leave them someday they'll get up to the higher roost but hate cleaning under the lower roost :( Any ideas :fl

The nest box is not closed up anymore,

DSC04470.JPG
DSC04471.JPG

You could make a ramp to the nesting box so they won’t roost there if I understand correctly. To be comfortable on roosting bars in coop or run—-They should not be above 30 inches from the ground to be comfortable and at least 2 inch wide. Rounded top corners and flat on bottom to match curve of feet. If higher they may not want to roost on them.:)

My roosting bars are at 24 inches high and all my birds roost on that in the run. The two I have in the house portion of coop are over my removable litter tray going opposite direction of nesting boxes. My nesting boxes they can walk into to left of roosting bars when not blocked of course. Nesting boxes are On left wall of coop for easy outside egg removal.

If the bottom photo is the lowest roost they choose then I would just add a poop board. When you said lowest board in front of enclosure then I thought you meant in front of crate, hence the ramp suggestion. If not in front of crate is where they are choosing to go then would add poop board or tray to lowest roost area.

If the bottom photo is the lowest roost they choose then I would just add a poop board. When you said lowest board in front of enclosure then I thought you meant in front of crate, hence the ramp suggestion. If not in front of crate is where they are choosing to go then would add poop board or tray to lowest roost area.

Yup, the bottom photo is where they prefer to roost, what you see in front of the crate/nest box is their stairs to the box which they use.

The highest roost looks kind of hard to get to,
all of the roosts near the nest do.
Do you have other birds in there?
Roost they are choosing looks easy to use for big ole BO's.

Yup, just the 4BO in the enclosure (8x12x7) ... That's the confusing part, they've been up on the highest roost & in the poop board during the day. They use the roosts to the side of the nest box/crate to get to the top.

What confuse me is I've had 2RIR & 2BLRW use the roost above the nest box ... After them were 5 Blue Wyandottes ... After them, prior to these were 4BO ... So I couldn't figure why these won't sleep up there since I've seen them up there during the day. Oh well, I'm thinking best they stay on the lower one cause of their size. DH said he'll make me a removable poop board for under the front/lower roost :hugs

Thanks for you input :frow

Remove the lower board. Chickens do not have the right to determine your actions or lack of actions.

After a decent amount of time has passed your birds will accept one of the taller roost poles as their preferred roosting place.

Chickens choose roosting locations for reasons that evade logic, but once a habit is established that habit will be as hard to break as the one you are currently dealing with.

There is a reason that cowards are called "CHICKEN" and that reason is a chickens' inability to accept new or different things.

Many chicken breeds or strains routinely roost dozens of feet off of the ground. It is only those chickens that selfish humans have bred to be eye candy or worse that have trouble with high roosts.

UPDATE: I ended up leaving them (Oct 28th), saw them standing by the door, hadn't the chance to remove the lower roost due to the weather we were having (thundershowers w/alot of lightening). The rain finally subsided enough to put my boots, rain gear & head lamp on ... I found 3 on the roof of the nest box & 1 on the roost to the side of the nest
Oct 29 - 1 on the roost & 3 on the nest box roof
Oct 30 - 2 on the roost & 2 not the nest box roof
Oct 31 - Same & in the same roosting order, now I'm realizing the pecking/buddy order. It's been that way until I checked last night. Found 3 on the roost (still in the same roosting order w/new addition on the end) 1 on the roof of the nest box. Looking forward to tonights arrangement.

I've read how they have their "favorite" spots on a roost & "particular" as to whom they're roosting next too. I never thought much of it but now it's note taking time, I maybe trading 2 of them for a Lavender pullet (same age) and if I do would like to send off buddies & not break their relationship.

DSC04551.JPG

Back
Top Bottom