Roosting Ladder Opinions

They are 1.5x1.5 I have black australorps, Rhode Island reds, barred rock, and Easter egger. Every thing I read said 1.5 was best.

I’m going to guess the top of the nest boxes is about 32” high. How far did you place your bar from the wall in this picture? Do the poop on the wall?
The poop board sits at 34" off the ground, the roost surface is 13" from the poop board and the roosts are 12" from the wall and the edge of the poop board.

They are 1.5x1.5 I have black australorps, Rhode Island reds, barred rock, and Easter egger. Every thing I read said 1.5 was best.
Not sure where you read that, but IMO 2" diameter should be the minimum for standard size birds. (Note the birds in this test did not want to use the narrower round bar, though it was not determined if it was because of finish of the bar or because of narrowness: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-perch-experiment.74272/ )

As far as why there's not enough room, in order to get up onto a roost, birds can fly nearly straight up to get on. Conversely to get OFF, they need up to a 2:1 ratio of height to landing space in front of the roost to safely land, i.e. a roost 24" up needs 48" landing space in front. Unfortunately due to configuration, you have almost no landing space at all. I was going to suggest turning the roosts 90 to the left but the door/wall is right there, so still no landing space.

Instead of a ladder maybe you can do all the roosts at same height as the low bar to try and minimize how far they need to jump to get down?

Also this has nothing to do with the roost question, but I see zero ventilation and natural light in the coop. Are you planning to add some?

Back
Top Bottom