Roosting on top of coop

Lilfish

Hatching
Nov 4, 2018
Eureka, CA
Hi there, My 4 new hens have taken to roosting on top of the coop rather than inside. They are presumed safe up there since the coop is surrounded by a very secure wire enclosure, so I'm leaning towards letting them continue to roost there. However, I wonder if it's ok for their feet to perch on the peak of the coop on asphalt shingles? The other questions I have read about this only gave suggestions about how to get them back into the coop. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thank you! :)

Best case take them put them in the coop do this 3 or 4 days they should do it on their own.. Welcome to Backyard Chickens

How old are the birds and how long have you had them?
Yes, pics of your coop, inside and out, and run would help immensely.

Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-5_8-53-2.png

My 4 EEs sleep on top of their house instead of inside it. They go in and use the nest box just fine, but prefer to sleep on top because it is higher up. Their house is inside a very secure chainlink/hardwire mesh fence and the whole coop is built under my 2nd story deck against the house, so they are secure. I live in TN and it usually doesn't get super cold here. I've tried putting them in the house after dark and even closing them up, and they are right back on top the next day and complaining about it the whole time when they are locked up. I put a ceiling over the deck area above them so they are covered from rain, and I just let them do whatever they want. If it were to get super cold or snow quite a bit here, I'd probably put them inside at night, but otherwise it is less hassle for me and makes them happy.

I do have 3 young rescue Polish bantam pullets that I am trying to get to go in the house, just because they sleep on the "porch" in front of the door at the top of the ramp. They can't/won't get on top of the house, and I'd rather they go inside and roost than to block the door if the big girls did want to go inside. And I consider then a bit more delicate as far as cold weather with their currently bald little heads.

Yeah, I also want them to be where they are happiest as long as it is safe for their feet to perch on that material and roof angle. The enclosure around the coop is secure, so I'm not really concerned about their safety with predators.

Is there any supplemental lighting in that coop? Or a window on the side that we can't see in the photo? I see the one small diamond vent in front and looks like one on the side, under where they're standing on the roof?

Without enough ambient light or supplemental light, the chickens may not want to go in because it's too dark. Without enough ventilation, it might feel too stuffy in there so they don't want to go in. Adding some more vents or one large one might help a lot with this.

Back
Top Bottom