Roosting on top of the run!?!

FeatherstoneFrm

Songster
Aug 1, 2014
Appling, GA
My small flock of 5 have decided they want to roost on top of the run.
I recently had a predator get in and kill 1 hen. After that I dissasembled my pallet coop, patched the hole in the run and rebuilt the coop. This time with a roof (they we're roosting on top of the pallet wall and I had a tarp over the top of the run). I removed the tarp and added a tin roof to the coop. They will go inside to lay and get out of the run/rain but will not rooster inside.
I let them out to free range for about an hour each day and usually, if it's in the evening, they will go back in the run at dusk and all I have to do is close the gate. I do try to move them from the outside roost to the inside but they just come right back out.
So now, they've decided, following the bad example of the Appenzeller, to roost on top of the run with is a 6ft high dog run. How can I stop this behavior? It's a pain to get them down each night and the Appenzeller runs from me so I have let her stay out. The others tuck under the rooster to keep from getting removed. So it's a nightly battle of wits.
I want to let them free range some but wish they would behave.
Any suggestions?

How are they getting on top? Are they flying up all the way, or is their something they're using to "springboard" up?
Try and make it hard for them to get there, is there a way you can block off the top to break the bad habit, short of electric fencing and razor wire? Chickens seem to be able to find ways to get where they want to go!
Also, the feathers could be clipped for just one season, so they can't get up that high. The downside of that, they can't fly up out of predators reach.
Could you use scratch or a treat to lure them down at night...at least the rooster, then maybe the rest would follow?
Could you take the tin off for a few days and use some type of bird netting so they can't sit up there?
Good luck, I wouldn't be able to reach 6'...not sure what I would do!

Back
Top Bottom