Roosting Order/Placement = Pecking Order?

ninabeast

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Upstate New York
Has anyone ever noticed if there is a correlation between the pecking order in their flock, and where the girls roost? Or in which order? It just seems that the dominant hens should get first choice of the best spots, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Yes...My Boss hen is always the first to roost and if anyone even thinks of getting in her spot..she is fast to inform then that that was not ok...and my two newest girls that are on the bottem of the pecking order..they sleep in the nesting boxes until I place them on the roost...

my rooster the top hen and the top hens friends get to go on the highest roost not sure if the top hens friend gets to go on anymore because she has been moved down to third in the pecking order

Hmmm. I thought Maisie was Head Hen, but she was last to roost tonight. I'm confused. I do know that Tallulah lost the spot of Head Hen, in large part because she's to big to get up there by herself, and needs to wait for me to help her. Chickens are so interesting.

i have two rooster's and there is a cochin rooster and he is always the first on the roost but when the big hens comes in and the other rooster they always push him off
sad.png

Last edited:
Mine don't seem to roost in dominant order. They always squabble for about 5 minutes as they try to get their preferred spot but they don't always sleep in the same place. Maybe mine are just weird.

Mine definitely have the head Rooster and then the top hens get to cuddle up next the him at night! Then all the others get on the lower rungs.

I don't know about all of my chickens, but I notice many of them periodically change spots on the roosts. It seems that once I get used to seeing the same chickens in one spot, they'll switch things up.
smile.png
Although it seems they do go into the coop in the same general order with one particular girl ALWAYS being the last.

absolutely...
I added two new additions to the flock...
surprisingly was going ok...however...the first one to stick her pecker into one was...
my sweet little bantee...up untill this point...she was lowest on the pecking list...
had a friend...but didn't really contect well with the others...
I got suck a kick...the first night...when she was roosting on the top with the more superiors...
feeling very sure of herself...

Back
Top Bottom