Roosting out in the run instead of in their house.

undercoverchick

Hatching
8 Years
May 3, 2011
At first all but four hens were roosting in their chicken house. Then suddenly all of my girls decided to roost outside in the run. Well now it's getting very cold and windy here in South Carolina. How do I get them to go back at night. I already have a light that goes on an hour before dark, there is an all night light on the garage near their pen. Could that make a difference? Help!!

Two of my girls roost outside but lay inside. Thus they darn well know where inside is. During two bad stormms I have stuffed them inside. One was cold so I closed the door. The other they came back out during the storm but after the worst of it. As it is a fully enclosed run (top enclosed) I figured they couldn't go too far. The one hen of nine that is molting is one that sleeps outside every night in north Texas with below freezing temperatures. Silly birds!

I am having the same problem! My girls preferred to sleep under the barn instead of in it! Sooooo.....we chicken wired off the underside of the barn and now they all come in at night all by themselves!

The roost in the run provides additional space on the days the girls don't get to free range. In the summer time, the girls like it as it gets them up into a breeze during the evening 'hang around in the run and snack' phase of the day. I'm not worried about them sleeping outside as I stuff them in during bad weather and I know they know how to go in on their own.

Back
Top Bottom