roosting question

Nickichicki

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Isanti Minnesota
I'm new to this whole chicken momma thing and my aunt gave me 6 laying hens a year old and Ive purchased 8 Americana and 2 gold buffs (3 weeks old) We rent our home and are using the existing coop as it was in EXCELLENT condition. The run and coop Ive been told could easily contain 300 chickens so I am guessing it is like a chicken mansion, lol! So my question is what is roosting as Ive heard it mention a few times and what do I need to do in order to make sure my ladies are doing that? I have a (bench) looking thing along 2 of the walls it is about 8 inches wide about a foot off of the floor...they never sit up there. I have 6 nesting box's that my husband built and they sit up there more than on the bench. What do I need to provide for them to roost on and is it really that important? Please..any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm so new at this and really am learning as I go. Thank you in advance! :)

I use long 2x4's with the 4 inch side up. They have gotten used to roosting on 2x4's so no matter where I install them, they just instantly hop up on them. Round off the edges a bit and make sure there is no splinters on the wood.

Last edited:
A roost to a chicken is like a perch to a parakeet. They like to sleep off the ground so they feel safe. People use lots of different things, but the general rule is don't use metal (too cold during winter) and don't use pvc (too slick). I use straight tree trunks about 3-4 inches in diameter, but I also have a couple sturdy 2 inchers in there for the yungins. Mount them higher than the nest boxes or they may just decide to sleep there.

I use branches about 2" wide and they are at three different height all above the nest boxes so the can hop their way to the top. Lead hens will roost on the top pole and babies on the lowest pole. I also take an automatic sander and smooth down and sharpe or pointy things to protect their feet.

My guess; the benches were for nest boxes. In my avatar you can see my roosts. I have mine on a platform high enough to get the wheelbarrow under it for clean out. The roost rack, three rows, is 2x4s, 12" high. The roosts should be higher than the nest boxes or they will use them to sleep in. They poop a lot where they sleep so you don't want them sleeping in the nests.

Back
Top Bottom