Roosting Questions

allie8302

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Hi! I am new here, my 6 chicks are about 12 weeks old now. We have a 5"x4" chicken wired pen we are expanding with a 4"x3" living space. We are planning on putting 3 nesting boxes inside.

My questions is about roosting, is that when they sleep? And they like to sleep up sitting on a bar or wooden rack? Is that why some of the coops have a poop board because they poo while they sleep?

So when we put in the roosting bar, it should be in the inside space or the fenced run outside space? My hubby is building it with lots of access places where the walls can fold down or back so I can clean, and with insulation since it can get pretty cold in Ohio.

Here are the chicks at just a few weeks old, we took them outside when it was warm and brought them back inside to the brooder at night

Here they are on May 13th. They are to funny and curious about the camera lol.

If anyone has any suggestions, they will be MUCH appreciated!!

Allie

They use them for sleeping and just hanging out instead of a poop board I use snow sleds then I just pull them out to empty but I have a big coop. My roost is like a ladder with rungs but wider then a ladder just do a "ladder roost" search and I am sure there well be pics someone has posted

My questions is about roosting, is that when they sleep? And they like to sleep up sitting on a bar or wooden rack? Is that why some of the coops have a poop board because they poo while they sleep?

So when we put in the roosting bar, it should be in the inside space or the fenced run outside space?
Yes, roosting at night is sleepy time. You'll find varying opinions, I use a flat board so they can sit, not a dowel-shape.They like sleeping high up so make sure your roosts are above the nestboxes.

Oh yeah, they poo when they sleep.

The roost needs to be inside the coop, inside w/ the best security. Lil' guys are vulnerable when they are sleeping.

Cute birds!

My hubby is almost done!

The original cage is on the right, and the new house/coop is on the left. It has 4 wheels and 2 boxes. The top folds back so I can clean it.

I put pine shaving bedding down, I wonder how often I will need to change it? The white board up in the corner is a sheet I can slide in and out to keep the birds in one side or the other.

There is also a door on the side, at the back of the nesting boxes, with a ledge on the back to keep the eggs from rolling out when I open the door to collect them.

This is looking from the open side into the coop. The door is in the right and the wall for the nesting box is on the left. The roof i half wood and half that fencing to let in some light.

We will be working on the feeder & waterer soon! :)

I would go from the support post on the right side of the pic straight across to the left. I still dont know if you will have enough room for all 5 girls to get up on it.

might want to consider opening up a few ventiltaion holes. its going to get pretty stuffy in there if you are anywhere it gets hot in the summer.

We got the waterer and food worked out! YEAH!! :)

I think this will hold enough food for 4-6 days

We were worried about the nipple water system, but they had the hang of it quick!!

Back
Top Bottom