Roosting rod necessary?

Do chickens absolutely have to have a roosting rod if enclosed?

• Total voters

goodeggsforyou

Songster
12 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Walla Walla, WA
Hello all. Some years ago I was very active here when I first had my 10 chickens. We had a very large coop and good success which was a joy. Now that I'm wanting to have chickens again I'm just looking at one of these small ready-made coops for two chickens. The Builder tells me however that there is no roost inside. Must chickens actually have a roosting rod; is it harmful to them if they don't?
Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi and welcome back to active life on BYC. I seem to recall that Eglu coops do not (all) have roosts and they go for serious money (I am assuming they know their stuff). Maybe from a hygiene point of view a roost is preferable to messy feathers however and it fits with natural behaviour :confused:

ETA: the Eglu coops include plastic grills / bars to aid hygiene
https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/eglu_cube/

Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community.

Chickens instinctively roost above ground(on a roost) where they feel they will be safe from ground predators. They also like to sleep with feet out in front of them, so in cold weather they can cover them with their head.

Back
Top Bottom