Roosting: Weird, Stupid, or Normal

I have multiple roosting bars all over the place in my coop. My pullets learned from the other chickens that they needed to roost at night. Two of my boys took that as 'roost in the nesting boxes'. Bad boys. I'm trying to teach them to move over 3 inches to the roost. Also giving young chicks stuff to perch on, and maybe adding more perching bars if there is a wonderment of bullying.

Apparently, all it takes for them to figure out perches is being snowbound for two days. It started snowing yesterday. By the time I got out for chores, the snow was starting to stick so the ground was white. When I opened the people-door, instead of piling out, they stopped at the sill.

“The ground looks funny. You go first.”
“I’m not going first. The ground looks funny. You go.”
“Nuh-uh. I’ll stay in today. “

So, I did chores with all 17 of them under my feet. 🙄 Same with afternoon water checks and evening close-up.

Today, they stayed inside, but I noticed as I did chores, that some were hanging out on the perches instead of trying to kill me by getting under my feet.

Maybe those are the only ones who aren’t diabolical fiends. 🤔

My first batch of chicks had a heat lamp and a practice roost in the brooder. They learned and took the roosting lesson with them when they moved into the coop.

My second batch of chicks had a practice roost after I got rid of the MHP. They cuddled in the corner. They took that lesson to the coop. They have a choice of two of their own roosts that the adults don't use. Then they discovered the nest box. I covered the nest box opening. They went back to the corner. Eventually I left the box uncovered, thinking I'd broken that habit. Nope. Just three nights ago, they've gone back to the nest box.

:barnie

My last laying hen is going to stop laying Any Day Now, and I'll just leave the boxes covered until December.

Silly birds.

Apparently, all it takes for them to figure out perches is being snowbound for two days. It started snowing yesterday. By the time I got out for chores, the snow was starting to stick so the ground was white. When I opened the people-door, instead of piling out, they stopped at the sill.

So, I did chores with all 17 of them under my feet. 🙄 Same with afternoon water checks and evening close-up.

Today, they stayed inside, but I noticed as I did chores, that some were hanging out on the perches instead of trying to kill me by getting under my feet.

So they CAN figure it out! Yay!

What the heck is wrong with MY flock?!

Please write a book. I think you are the best writer here. :love

My flock are all the same age and from a hatchery. They are ~ 8-9 weeks old and have been in their yard for about a month.

Every evening, when they go into the coop, they /all/ pile into one corner. Seventeen half-grown chicks cramming into two square feet of floor space.

When I come out in the morning, usually within 30 minutes of sunrise, they are perched on the roosts, waiting at the door, hanging out in the nest boxes. Normal chicken stuff.

Are they weird, stupid, or normal? And will they ever figure out they can start the night on the roosts?
Yes, they will figure it Out! 😊

Back
Top Bottom