Roosting

Mine are Orpingtons, 2 of them and 6 months old. They had 3 roost. They roosted for awhile when they first got to go outside in the summer. As they got older they would huddle in the corner as yours do. I made a 4th roost and they have finally started using it. Well one does. She hogs it. So I make her move over and put the other one up on it. They both stay all night on it, finally. Hopefully soon they will share better and both get on it themselves.
Keep trying, much healthier and cleaner for them to roost.

I don't have silkies, but my daughter does. Hers can't fly up to the roost, so they all sleep in a huddle on the coop floor. She tried lowering the roosts, and adding a box they could step up on, but it didn't make any difference. Now she goes out each evening and places them on the roosts.
I'm thinking this might be a common thing with silkies :idunno

Silkies can't fly so they may have trouble getting up to and down from roosts. They may have troubles getting to and from nests too. Some people get them to roost by using very low roosts or maybe ramps or steps to help them get up and down.

I personally don't see any real reason that they have to roost. Broody hens usually take their chicks to the same spot on the coop floor every night for weeks on end without any problems. My brooder raised chicks often sleep on the coop floor for weeks or months before they start to roost. People often express concern that the poop will build up. From what I've seen that's hardly ever an issue though your coop probably looks different to mine. If it does start to build up either clean it yourself or toss some feed like scratch or BOSS so they will spread the poop around while scratching for the treats.

As long as mine are not sleeping in nests I'm happy.

I don't have silkies, but my daughter does. Hers can't fly up to the roost, so they all sleep in a huddle on the coop floor. She tried lowering the roosts, and adding a box they could step up on, but it didn't make any difference. Now she goes out each evening and places them on the roosts.
I'm thinking this might be a common thing with silkies :idunno
It’s funny, my silkies can fly and they decided to roost during the day and nestle together on the floor at night. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom