roosting

alexbetty

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
So, my chickens have only been outside for a week, but I'm wondering if I have to teach them where to roost. When they go in their coop at night, they all cluster on or near the nesting box. They don't use the roosts, the ramp, the floor. I'm concerned that they are going to make dirtiest the area I would want cleanest when they start laying. How can I encourage them to hang out elsewhere?

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
They will learn to roost - it takes some time. In the meantime, you want to make the nest boxes inaccessible to prevent the forming of a nest sleeping habit. Unless you have actively laying birds in with them there is no reason to allow access to the boxes at all, you can block them off until they are near the point of lay and then open them.

ChickenMammX4

Songster
Mar 17, 2015
SW Ohio
Mine just started roosting at night this past week. Easy to tell by the amount of poop under the roost ;) They're 8+weeks old but have been in the coop for at least a month.

alexbetty

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
Thanks. I have blocked off the nesting box with a tarp. Now they are all clustering in the opposite corner :)

snowwhitejen

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 13, 2015
Thanks. I have blocked off the nesting box with a tarp. Now they are all clustering in the opposite corner
smile.png

Mine did the same at first, now they are all roosting great. It takes time.

Top Bottom