roosts and heights of roosts

ausamerican33

Songster
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Wendell, NC
We've got a coop that is 10 X 10 (I think!). The roosts can only be attached certain pieces of wood (the supporting ones - I'm soooo not the builder!), so positioning is limited. We've got 14 chickens. The highest perch is about 6 feet, and then there are 2 lower ones - about 3 feet, and about 5 feet. The problem - I keep whacking my head!! We put in the lower roosts for them to be able to step up to the high roost. My question is - is this necessary? Would just one high roost be accessible, or would it be too hard for them to get up and down? Or would one lower roost be enough? We originally had 26 chickens, which is why we had so much roosting space. With 14 chickens, we need 14 feet of roost, is this right? Any help would be great!!

Ours get one roost at about 30 inches. If they want to roost higher, they'll have to find a new home.
tongue.png

Height of the roost depends on the breed of chicken. Some chickens can fly better than others. Some would prefer to jump or hop up to a perch and others wouldn't mind flying 20 feet straight up to the rafters. (Jap Bantams). The higher perches are like the higher rung on the social ladder. I'd say watch your chickens and see what they prefer.

Back
Top Bottom