Roosts for the coop

This is how I attached my tree branch roosts. Drill a hole in the end plus the support and drop in a rod or, in this case, a big nail. This way you can remove them pretty easily.

Roost Nail.JPG

This might give you a better idea of what mine looks like. Certainly not that straight. The back one is about a foot off the wall, and the other is about a foot further over. The built-in brooder underneath is my droppings board, plus those plastic bins where the brooder does not reach.
Main Roosts.JPG

This is how I attached my tree branch roosts. Drill a hole in the end plus the support and drop in a rod or, in this case, a big nail. This way you can remove them pretty easily.

View attachment 1995744

This might give you a better idea of what mine looks like. Certainly not that straight. The back one is about a foot off the wall, and the other is about a foot further over. The built-in brooder underneath is my droppings board, plus those plastic bins where the brooder does not reach.
View attachment 1995748
Those look amazing!
That's what I'm going for, more of the natural look of how branches are. They don't have to be straight, otherwise they wouldn't be put in. They just have to be strong enough to hold up the weight of our birds.

Those look amazing!
That's what I'm going for, more of the natural look of how branches are. They don't have to be straight, otherwise they wouldn't be put in. They just have to be strong enough to hold up the weight of our birds.

I aim for "straight" (or at least, straight enough) branches as I find the birds don't like sitting on the sloped parts (which I can't blame them, who wants to spend a night standing at a tilt?) and too much slope or twisting parts reduces the amount of usable roost space.

I admit I'm less about how it looks and more about the free, reusable resource that's just sitting in my yard. If any of my existing branches get too worn out looking, I just go haul in another branch.

Mite issues are very common in western Europe. On a chicken forum in the Netherlands they say: you can be sure to get a mite infestation some day. You only don't know when. So be prepared and take control.

The wild bird spread the red mites. Chicken farms as well as private owners with just a few chickens all have to deal with mite at one point.

map mite infestations in Europe made by University in the Netherlands.
https://www.wur.nl/upload_mm/c/4/d/c33571b5-6cfb-48d7-aa3b-caa5678d0742_aantallen_vogelmijt.JPG

c33571b5-6cfb-48d7-aa3b-caa5678d0742_aantallen_vogelmijt.JPG
Yikes!

Natural wood is very cool and adds some charm to a lot of coops, if you're concerned about mites I'd just use something else less porous. And DE may deter juvenile nasties but probably won't do anything for adults, its gravely exaggerated. Take that bark off in short and have an active maintenance program and I think you'll be OK. :thumbsup

I aim for "straight" (or at least, straight enough) branches as I find the birds don't like sitting on the sloped parts (which I can't blame them, who wants to spend a night standing at a tilt?) and too much slope or twisting parts reduces the amount of usable roost space.

I admit I'm less about how it looks and more about the free, reusable resource that's just sitting in my yard. If any of my existing branches get too worn out looking, I just go haul in another branch.
My flock seem to like the ones that arch upwards and they all try to be the one who is near the top of the branch.

Back
Top Bottom