roosts in brooder

TheChickMan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
newbie question but, can i put a stick or wooden dowel a few inches off the ground in my brooder at any time or will it just go unused. Will they fall off of it and hurt themselves

Once the chicks are about 2 weeks old, I put a flattopped stick in my brooder. This helps them learn balance and gives them something new to explore. They love it!

great. thanksfor the help. mine are about 1 week old so i'll look for something to put in there tonight

i put a 12 inch long piece of rebar in there they love walking on it. they are doing great

Mine are a week old today and have been using a very low roost since they were about 4-5 days old. I have a flat peice of wood scrap that I use. They love it. It's only about an inch 1/2 off the ground. I increase the height as they get bigger.

mine are about 5 days old my husband put a roost board in the brooder.they love it.is just a couple inches off the foor.they run and hop on it and some are even are sleeping on it.they will sit on it and flap their little wings as though they are trying to fly.they are such a joy to watch.

Mine are 15 to 22 days old and I have a flat piece of wood nailed in about 4.5 inches off the brooder floor and also a stick from outside that is about 1 cm wide at about 1.5 inches up. They all love it. I already have a large number of them that sleep on either one. However, it does help strengthen their hopping muscles
tongue.png

We put a small branch in our brooder when they were about 4-5 days old, and I have to tell you, it is the funniest thing to watch them try to sleep on it! They don't know how to balance yet, so they end up with their heads on the ground. Hehe...

I have had a dowel as a roost in the brooder since day one. I just left it on the floor, then put it on a couple of wood chunks, then I put rubber feet ( Like on the ends of the spring curtain rods) and it will hold 4-5 4 week old chicks. I think I am gonna design it like a limbo game. that way it is more adjustable. Hoping to have them in their coop ( still in the brooder of course) by the end of the month. Gonna miss them though. They are trying to fly. Hoping they don't bang their heads on the hardware cloth top on the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom