Roosts: size, flat, round, square...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oz Chook, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Oz Chook

Oz Chook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    What is the ideal (if there is one!) size wood for a roost? And is flat or round better?

I have 8 chickens, all different breeds, smallest is a Cochin, largest is a Rhode Island. Do they wrap their feet around it or sit on it? Hope that didn't sound daft!

I live in Perth Western Australia, so we don't get snow, but it does get quite cold in Winter at night.

It's time to revamp their house! So apologies in advance, you might be hearing from me a bit!

2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i just use a 2x4 on its flat side and they semm to like it

3. mickeygirl217

mickeygirl217 New Egg

Mar 26, 2008
    Duvall, WA
    Our property is heavily wooded so we just use branches. I'm assuming they feel natural to the chickens & they are FREE!

I think the books say 1" round for chicks & banties and 2" for full size.

4. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    i've found that mine like 2x4's on the flat side best as their roosts... but they like big round branches in their run, too.

i've heard around here somewhere that chickens don't grip well with their rear toe, so they aren't great balancers - for that reason they may prefer the flat side. and in winter, with the flat side down, when roosting they're able to cover their whole feet and keeping them nice and toasty.

[​IMG]

5. Oz Chook

Oz Chook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    Thanks heaps! At least I've got somewhere to start. With them all being such different sizes and all wanting to sleep together, it's like trying to buy a waterbed for beauty queen married to a sumo wrestler!

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep, flat side of the 2x4. A friend of mine in Australia suggested that for my birds [​IMG] I used to have closet rods for them to roost on, but now that I switched to 2x4s, they ALL roost on them. (I think it's unanimous!) [​IMG]

7. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I cut and use 2" tree limbs.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by