1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. austinchicken

austinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Greetings all!

I'm brand new to the forum and to chicken raising. I hope after I get some experience under my belt I can be a useful member rather than just a needy one. That experience will begin in about a month, after I get the coop and run built.

Enough babbling--I'll get to my question:

I've seen 2" suggested as a diameter for roosts for large birds here and in other resources, with the added suggestion that a 2x4 could/should be used in colder climates so the birds can keep their feet warm. I live in Central Texas, where it gets below freezing maybe a dozen times a year; I doubt that qualifies as a "colder climate."

(1) Is there anything WRONG with using a 2x4 in a not-so-cold climate? (Seems to me they might still want to keep their feet warm when it's in the 40s and 50s!)

(2) If I do use one, do I need to round off the edges a bit?

(3) Is the 2" bar suggested because the birds prefer that, and the 2x4 is, in fact, a sort of necessary evil?

Sorry, I'm sure this seems like a trivial question, but any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. austinchicken

austinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Whoops! Posted this in the wrong area.

Many apologies!

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    we forgive you [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by